Advice on finding someone to transport a lathe.

1. farmer_joe New Member

Hi guys,

I’m looking to potential get a lathe transported from Scotland(NW of Glasgow) down to Kent.
    It can be loaded by the seller and unloaded myself at this end(Kent).
    So really just needs to be a flat bed transporter.

anyone have any recommendations?
    That are reasonable cost wise?

ive tried a smallish transport company and they want £1100 plus vat, which seems a bit on the steep side to me. That said I’ve no experience using transport company’s as I usually go myself!

many advice greatly appreciated.

many thanks,
    Joe

2. Stueeee

Stueeee Old git

how big/heavy is the lathe?

mtt.tr likes this.
  3. DeanH Member

£1100 plus vat?!?!? I'm half way between and would hire a van and do it for half that for you!

4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

fizzy and 8ob like this.
  5. MattH

MattH Member

Be very careful.

There is loads of machinery being sold out of North West Scotland that is a scam.

The scammers say it's there to discourage you from viewing it.

Make sure this lathe exists before parting with any cash!

Ashley Burton, Parm, dobbslc and 4 others like this.
  6. James1979 Member

Everyone seems to swear by landylift. Never used him but never heard anything bad from those that have. I take it a flatbed trailer and going to get it is out of the question?

When I needed to move a big piece of machinery, I bought a trailer, did the job then sold it for the same amount.

Arc Tourist, rtcosic and doubleboost like this.
  7. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    We can ship lathes IF they are properly palletised and there are forklifts at the collection and delivery points.
    If you need a tail lift the maximum would be a Bantam or Student.

8. WorkshopChris

WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

Steep?
    If that's a dedicated end to end journey then it's not to bad at all.

mr haynes, mtt.tr and KimB like this.
  9. farmer_joe New Member

Thanks for the reply’s chaps.

The lathe is a Smart and Brown 1024

Landy lift was my first call, unfortunately the lathe would be over the legal lid limit of his vehicle.

The lathe definitely exists, I’ve got video and photos of it so I’m pretty sure it’s not a scam....... you never know though!

Fizzy, I’ve sent you a pm.

DeanH, you could be my last resort!

10. Rannsachair

Rannsachair Forum Supporter

The one in Helensburgh perhaps? Looks nice.

11. DeanH Member

Let me know. Would take a bit of arranging but happy to do it.

12. farmer_joe New Member

It is indeed. Been in talks with the chap, if I can find transport at the right price I think we have a deal. Means the 140 will be up for sale!

Rannsachair likes this.
  13. chrisg3103

chrisg3103 Forum Supporter

Nice, I shifted one from Edinburgh to Ayrshire and it was a mission! The heaviest machine I have shifted yet. Beats a mk1 bridgport interact from Wales.
    Got it on the trailer with my home made gantry crane, with everyone standing well back.
    Chap at the next unit offered to offload with his forklift, back wheels nearly in the air, big chap sit on the counterweight..
    Got it in the unit and sat it on my engine crane to use as a dolly, one of the cast iron wheels exploded :laughing:

Hope all goes well, they are lovely machines

WorkshopChris likes this.
  14. Stueeee

Stueeee Old git

Haha, I've been that soldier, in my case picking up a Jones and Shipman grinder with my 2 ton engine crane. these wheels must be made from recycled sash window weights.

[​IMG]

the only stock I had which was the right diameter to turn up some new wheels was a piece of EN8; not an exactly free cutting material; but at least the next failure will be elsewhere.

[​IMG]

Smart and Brown certainly are top quality machines, the 1024 has the best combination of capacity and rigidity of their range IMO.

tom2207, chrisg3103 and johnny7 like this.
  15. MBB Forum Supporter

I've had three 10-24 Smart and Browns. They all leaked oil from the headstock I've seen quite a few and they all leaked.

16. chrisg3103

chrisg3103 Forum Supporter

You know, I have never thought about turning a replacement wheel... been shuffling it about on 3 wheels when folded up for years :laughing:

James1979 likes this.
  17. mr haynes Member

Must easily be 500 miles one way, up by Faslane, so doesn't sound expensive to me especially if no return load. Would be an overnighter too for a small outfit.
    Nice views out over the Gareloch but have to watch out for the hairdryer wielding rozzers

18. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

What does the lathe weigh?

19. m_c Member

20. WorkshopChris

WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

I would be very cautious of outsourcing machinery movements to any 3rd parties lots of people on shiply just looking to squeeze every last inch out of a trailer load. On a run from Scotland to Kent, you could possibly end up with 3 or 4 vehicle changes to make use of backload space. Fine with a pallet of carrots or old engines but to many risks with handling and loading for something open to so much potential damage, that won't look obvious at first.
    I have seen and heard lots of shiply horror stories.

Advertisements