Advice needed on flexible DA sanding pads.

1. Edward Yemm Member

I’m wanting to sand paint off a concave surface with a DA as things are taking an age wet sanding. I need to remove clear coat prior to re basing and re clearing. Thinking of getting 400 or 600 grit paper so it doesn’t rip too much paint off. Mirka Abranet looks good. What are the options of sanding pads out there? I’ve seen some semi flexible rubber pads with hook and loop. Some thin rubber pads and some slightly thicker pads made by Flexipads, that are supposed to be flexible. I’m looking at getting an M14 palm sander with dust extraction. I’ll go for other drive sizes if there is something very flexible but it isn’t in M14. Thanks.

2. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

How concave is it?
    A 6 inch round sander should get it unless it's very tight.
    The foam intermediate pads that help save the backing pads should be all you need and worth using whatever you are sanding.
    The abranet are a great product and have a foam backing which should also help you get use out of more of the pads.

stuvy, Bullet2012 and Edward Yemm like this.
  3. Edward Yemm Member

Thanks. So foam intermediate is best then. So, similar to the type of pads you use with a polisher then but with hook and loop. Most of the pads I’ve seen don’t look like they have much give in them. The pad on my current DA is completely solid and would struggle unless I only use the sander on an angle. Thanks. I would use my current 6 inch padded DA but it has no dust extraction and at this stage I don’t want dust everywhere. Thanks.

4. Edward Yemm Member

A 6 inch pad should get it fine as long as I use a foam intermediate pad. If I have to angle it slightly then I can do that as in the second photo.

• 1C9D435A-C37F-4CA9-900D-4A1B64E8FC02.jpeg
    • 0318CA06-62B9-4145-9CEC-865D35DAAE65.jpeg
  5. Edward Yemm Member

I found various foam interfaces. Some are 12mm thick so may take up all the gap in the middle of the sander even when I hold it straight. Once again thanks.

6. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

You can use the abranet wet, in fact they work best wet, but it means you need an air DA.

Just watch using the foam to deal with the shape.
    The foam will need to compress more at the edge of the pad so that is where most of the sanding action will take place.

7. Edward Yemm Member

Air operated is what I was looking at getting. I have an industrial hoover with a tool dust extraction setting on it. I can connect a hose to it via whatever adapters I need to buy/make. The hoover can be used to suck up water as well. I’ll make sure I move the sander up and down a bit then, so it’s not constantly sanding the same lines where there’s more pressure. I didn’t know a DA could be used for wet sanding. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  8. Edward Yemm Member

I see there are a few different types of Mirka DA discs. Abranet, Autonet and Abralon. The Abralon seem to be the only ones that come up in a search for wet and dry Mirka discs. I may use the Abralon with a foam interface or even on their own as they’re foam padded. I may use them without an extraction on my current DA for now and just keep wiping the sanding scum off as I go. I’m not sure about the Autonet discs but if the Abranet are fine for using wet I’ll buy some of those too.

9. Edward Yemm Member

I opted for Mirka Abralon in the end. I dip the foam sanding pad in a bucket of water, squeeze off excess water then it’s good to go. Just waiting on the foam interface to arrive now for the more curvier panels. It’s making light work of it now. I was loosing the will to live, wet sanding by hand. I may very well get another da with extraction after a while and some impact gloves as my hands are tingling already. Thanks.

• 6A8C7FBB-CBC1-4CEA-8AD0-EF5C6530C39F.jpeg
    • 866D9CB3-4263-414D-98AB-96F38A3D7202.jpeg
    • 9F174B02-4BD2-4935-81AF-3A83B38F8932.jpeg
  10. Edward Yemm Member

I thought the 350 discs may be too coarse and cut through too fast but they’re not. I’ll have to grab some more coarse discs to speed up the job even more. I’ll also have to buy a da that has less CFM than this Parkside da. Less than 20 seconds use, then my 100 litre compressor has to re charge.

Advertisements