Advice for a total newbie

1. ect2 New Member

Greetings,

I have never welded before, however I have a project coming up that will require me to weld a frame from 75x75x6 square tube, as well as welding of short lengths of 10 -15 mm thick mild steel plate to the square box in a manner as shown below:
    weld.jpg

I do not have a welder atm but I feel this is a good opportunity to gain a new skill. Apart from this project my future welding activities will most likely always remain on an infrequent DIY level. I need some advice on what machine I should get that will weld steel of uneven thickness as per the image above. Would fillet joints be the most appropriate? The joints will not carry any structural loads. I would like to have my own welder at home.

2. Rob85 Member

If they are not carrying much structural load, why use such heavy material? Personally for welding that up I would probably use a stick welder rather than mig. The kind of mig you will need for that will be more expensive than a suitable stick machine

Kent, pdg and Wallace like this.
  3. ect2 New Member

Thanks Rob85.

4. ect2 New Member

This is meant to be a frame for a small router for wood, plastics, wax, maybe small jobs in aluminum. Stuff like that as well as a 3d printer. The heavier gauge plates are meant to be mounts for balls screws etc. I figure the thicker plate will give me a deeper thread for mounting holes. Does it make sense? So, I guess with 6mm sections all around a small MIG would do the job properly. MIG is easier to learn than the MMA, is it not?

5. ect2 New Member

6. ect2 New Member

So which machine would you pick?

7. ect2 New Member

Thank you for your help pdg. I'll get a 150A MMA. :)

8. daedalusminos Member

To be honest I'd revisit your design, do you really need 6mm or can you get away with something like 30x30x3mm box with a captive nut?

Kent likes this.
  9. Kent

Kent Member

Your biggest issue will be getting everything in tolerance for the intended purpose.
    Dump the thick plates! Increase the thread depth by weld on nuts to far thinner plates say 6mm-8mm? Clearance hole use just the thread on the nuts.

pdg likes this.
Advertisements