Advice about light tower build

1. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Time ago I've posted a topic about rack stand for a site power supply pannel
    If you remember I also told that I was thinking to build an engine driven air compressor a light tower
    Unfortunately I destroyed the engine for the compressor project and for this reason I can't do it anymore for while
    In this days me and my brother feel the need of a light tower on the actual building site we are working on
    My original idea was to use two iron pipes and some angle iron to make the base
    So essentially an 1" pipe as outer tubing/frame and a 3/4" pipe as inner pipe ,to lock this at the desired elevation I was thinking to use a transition fitting for polyethylene pipes
    So when this fitting is loose the inner pipe can move back and forward ,but tightening it the pipe been locked in position .
    The legs or feets or whatever we can call them
    I would like to make them using or "L" or "T" angle iron or maybe better use always round tubing .
    Each one with 3 holes drilled ,one on the ends and one at almost 3/4 of the total length
    That because , when I needed this kind of light I was in open areas and the lights in this occasion should be in elevated position
    up to 4 meters I would say
    So it does need a wider base than in normal close areas environment (into a room or something like that)
    So the idea is that changing the I position of 3 bolts is possible to change the inge point so the base will be larger or smaller
    For the light source I was thinking to use two led headlights ,15W I believe .
    Now my doubts are concentrated on the wire
    Thinking about spiral springyish kind of cable between the switch box and the lights themselves
    But I should put the wire inside the inner tube to protect it against impacts etc but now I'm thinking that it could being scratched or pinched between the two tubes .
    Otherwise if I put this cable outside it will be exposed to anything ,so sparks dirt water, sun (yep this sounds weird) ,heat , and it can be crushed or grabbed during the transport
    I will make a drawing this afternoon to make this topic easier to understand

I need advices about , this thing shouldn't have an easy life

2. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Little drawing

• 15670818582757323820082366980092.jpg
  3. hotponyshoes Member

You could get some rechargeable led floodlights and forget about the cable.
    Screwfix do some for about £20 last about 4hrs.
    They are small and light enough that you could mount 4 of them if you needed 8 hours worth of light

4. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Battery needs to be used otherwise they could be damaged
    But is an option ...

5. MoreWellie Member

4m is pretty tall for a free standing unit, perhaps you could find a secondhand roadworks style unit to use

If this is a site where you are going to end up with any normal lamp posts on it? in which case you may be better off putting these in earlier for general light and using the normal small free standing units to fill in when necessary

Memmeddu likes this.
  6. gt6s Member

Hire a light tower

Memmeddu likes this.
Advertisements