Absolute beginner looking for help

1. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

I am a complete beginner at Welding.
    I dabbled many years ago with stick welding but nothing more.
    Since I retired I have found several jobs that needed welding but which were really to small for the local welding shop.
    So my question is, is there anyone in the Portsmouth, Fareham, Southampton area who would be prepared to show a complete newbie the basics of MIG welding.

2. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Welcome aboard, Anthony. :waving:

Until someone near you pops up to help, have a read through the forum tutorials [green buttons at the top of the page] - they're a good starting point with the basics. :thumbup:

3. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

i believe somone is in your area that maybe able to give you some good pointers for mig welding

4. julianthegypsy Member

Dive right in would be my advice. Watch the really useful tutorial videos, then go burn some metal. Post photos of the results and you'll find loads of people will give you useful comments to help you improve.

5. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

Thanks guys
    I have acquired a Migatronic 5000 MX which seems to be OK. I had to replace the regulator and strip off a load of wire until I got rid of the rusty layers.
    I have watched all the tutorials and am just about ready to burn some holes in stuff.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  6. Stingray Member

Start with the basics, make sure your metal is ground clean, mig is not as forgiving as stick when it comes to rust and paint, ensure you’ve got a good earth, ensure you’ve got no leaks with your shielding gas, push for solid wire instead of dragging, play with the settings on a piece of scrap first and practice practice practice, solid wire mig is the easiest process for a newbie to learn...

7. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark Member

look at your Local Men In Shed's.
    I understand the Pompy or Fareham were thinking of opening a Hot Shop.

HMS Sultan Steam Lorry is also a good place to ask.

Advertisements