ABS pump for press?

1. KemppiFrog Member

. Just curious, has anybody tried one for, say, a vertical press?

I have a Jeep unit on thev shelf. Dates from 1990 and is the pump and acumalator and some pressure switches. I reported a fault and the changed the whole system under warranty. Dumped the valve chest, but stashed the pump as 'useful'.
    I imagine it gives 2.500psi, but no idea about flow rate. Got to be quicker than a hand pump?

Ideas?

2. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

I would expect the flow rate to be minimal, in the low ml per minute range.

In a braking system the pump doesn’t really have to move any fluid, just pressurise it. It’s something I haven’t thought about before, but I think it’s a non starter.

3. KemppiFrog Member

Sort of my thought, but maybe just set up a rig to see? If applying the anchors from warp speed on a greasy road it needs to supply some fluid quite quickly. I will give it a try and report back.

4. hotponyshoes Member

They have a decent size motor and pull a few amps so it would be interesting to see what results you get.
    Thousands of them in scrap yards for not a lot of money...

5. gt6s Member

Hydraulic oil & brake fluid seals not compatible

6. anto44

anto44 Member

ABS pumps have a tiny output volume, I've stripped a few faulty ones over the years and the size of the actual pump itself is tiny. They also have an extremely low duty cycle, on a lot of cars nowadays you have to activate the pump when bleeding the brakes and you can only activate it in very short bursts followed by cool down periods.
    I think a better option for a press would be one of these off of a small tipper truck.
    Screenshot_20200711-111456_Chrome.jpg

7. tom2207 Member

tail lift pump always a handy option but just build a power pack , theres not much to them.

Advertisements