9" Angle Grinder Issue.

1. tom2207 Member

Trust me ,, I wont.
    :laughing:
    Ive had a few fly into kit form , granted never a thick old one but plenty of the 1mm ones and the odd flap disc when Im doing something stupid and they catch , but as I always wear my ppe ive never come off any the worse Ive also never had a box of discs last long enough to go out of date. What I do notice is the huge difference in quality between cheap and nasty and the good ones .
    I always put a thin disc into the machine with the larger metal disc side towards the body of the machine , I know of others who do it the other way round , and plenty more who just dont care , they just bung them in.

Dcal and Nick DV like this.
  2. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

I've used lots of 9 inch angle grinders and this is the only one I've ever had this problem with.
    It isn’t a problem with the make, I’ve never had an issue with other similar Bosch grinders.
    The odd time you get a tough nut to slacken and needs the spanner, but it's normally as you say because the disc grabs and overtightens the nut. This one does it every time.

I was gifted the grinder because the guys at work using it got so fed up with it.
    I might drag it out and see if I can get to the bottom of the problem, but it is weird.

slim_boy_fat and tom2207 like this.
  3. tom2207 Member

wonder if the inside of the nut has a burr on it , or is damaged in some way ,,

Dcal likes this.
  4. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

I think I changed the bottom and top nuts at the time and it didn't make any differiennce.
    I will check later to and see if it's bent or something and post a few photos.

5. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    Gragson likes this.
  6. barking mat

barking mat Barking at Pigeons

I had to get some mole grips out last weekend and a lump hammer.

Needs must etc....

7. Turbo Member

I have a 9" Elu grinder & I have never had bother getting a disc off it apart from when my BIL borrows it.
    He uses it to cut concrete flags & I think it's a combination of the extra vibration from cutting concrete coupled with his method of using it but he always gets the disc jammed! :rolleyes: He is built like a bear & tends to try to force the disc through rather than letting the disc do the work, I think that extra torque overtightens the nut.

jerrytug and barking mat like this.
  8. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

Found the 9" Bosch grinder I had trouble with, but there were no nuts on it which is a pity.
    I put a couple of nuts on it and gave it a quick go.

IMG_3409.JPG

Couldn't get it slackened, but main reason was the lock was slipping.
    Put the disc in the vice and got it off with the spanner.
    It was tight but not mad.

IMG_3415.JPG

Thought I might as well see if I could fix it.

IMG_3416.JPG

IMG_3420.JPG

The lock pin is not hardened, it files ok and the gear head isn't marked.
    A couple of dabs of tig and a run in the lathe had it sorted.

IMG_3422.JPG

IMG_3424.JPG

Really easy, quick fix and a lot faster than looking then waiting for parts.

However I think there could be a bit of chicken and egg here.
    I'm not convinced the lock was the first problem, it might have been wrecked because the discs were so tight.
    It's too late to be running a 9" grinder to see if this is the case, so it will have to wait untill the weekend to give it a workout.

One of them wee jobs I should have done long ago but when you have other 9" grinders it gets put on the long finger.

slim_boy_fat and Maker like this.
  9. Agroshield Member

If it is in bits, is there any scope to put a couple of flats on the spindle for a slim spanner so the Vulcan death grip on the disk will no longer be required?

10. Turbo Member

Most of them have flats but the spanner for them needs to be so thin it is useless for removing a tight disc! :rolleyes:

11. Gareth0123

Gareth0123 You'll need 16 pigs to do the job in one sitting!

Over the last few days I have used this Ryobi 2000watt soft start 9" angle grinder more than I have in the last 3 years and probably 5 years.

I am still experiencing the spindle nut self tightening and still need to use the vice and tapered punch approach whichever m14 spindle nut I use from several previously dead grinders, two new ones and three from 115 grinders I use on daily/weekly weekly basis I have even used the custom Hex flat M14 spindle nut i had made in the machine shop at Claas for my CP 7" grinder 20 odd years ago ( I lost the spindle original nut for that grinder in the wash bay drain pit).

I won't need this grinder again for about another month now, which is a good job because I have ordered one of those quick release nuts from eBay, but I didn't pay attention to the delivery dates direct from China which are 14th until 27th of December: I saw the dates but not the month when I made my purchase. :doh:

Dcal likes this.
  12. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

Just to update on my troublesome Bosch grinder.
    With the repaired locking pin I've had no issue getting discs of.
    I am wondering if not having a secure lock was the issue, but I haven’t the original nuts any more.
    I’ll put it on the tool board and use it as my go to 9 inch and see what happens.

The first quick release nut I bought (for work) must have been 15 or 20 years ago.
    It was the original Bosch one and cost £40 I think, almost the price of a grinder.
    They still need the pin spanner the odd time.

I usually just lock the spindle and hit the disc with the heal of my hand to slacken them.
    It probably makes me a bad person but it works 99% of the time for me on the 6 or so grinders I have.

Advertisements