7018 welding rod questions

1. Dantheman45 New Member

Hi lads I often run hi.low rods . I have a rod quiver to keep them warm but should I be baking them iin an oven or would the quiver be ok

Memmeddu likes this.
  2. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

I don't know TBH
    I think that's enough for normal applications ,but for critical stuff I'd go with Esab vacpack and baked .
    Baking does mean put them into an oven set up for 360°C for 2 hours (that according with what is written on my Lincoln 7018 box)
    Once baked keep them in the quiver , they will "last" 8 hours open air .
    So you might vacuum seal them in small quantities

3. metalmelt Member

It depends on how they are stored, if left in a garage or shed they will absorb moisture through damp winters and it is best to bake them first, if you have any doubts then bake them anyway.

Memmeddu likes this.
  4. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

I know that they can be baked only once

5. hobby_machinist Member

I once read that you can bake them multiple times but you have to watch how long and how big is the temp, but the boss where i sometimes work told me when he was working on a ship they had rods in the oven 24/7.
    It would be the best to contact that specific rod manufacturer and ask him the details about baking and storing while not in use

6. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Bake 7018 means put them in the oven 2 hours at 360°C
    Store 7018 in the oven means store them in a oven at around 120 up to 180°C

7. Dantheman45 New Member

I'd have them stored in my hot press . Could I bake them in the gas cooker

8. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

See what the rod manufacturer states.
    More and more rods are classed as "R" (ie H4R) and shouldn't need redrying at all if used in a timely manner... but it all depends on what the specific manufacturer says you should do.

A gas oven with open flame will put out humidity... I wouldn't have thought that would be any good? Electric oven is better.

metalmelt and Memmeddu like this.
  9. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Depends what you are welding. Baking at high temp is to reduce the Hydrogen content. Hydrogen can cause cracking in certain steels under certain circumstances.......If you dont need low hydrogen theres no need to bake.....If your welds suffer from start porosity you can "dry" them at 100-150 oC for half an hour (or until the porosity stops)

mtt.tr, Dcal, metalmelt and 3 others like this.
  10. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Holding them in a quiver at 75-100°C for a good 4 hours will reduce the hydrogen content to almost baked levels.

It depends what Steel you’re welding really. If you’re welding ductile steel and it has a low amount of stress it would be unlikely to crack even if you soaked your rods in water.

Rods from a quiver do run nicer though and as Al said you will see less porosity in your starts if your rods are baked or at least warm.

Saying that with the correct start technique you shouldn’t see any porosity really.

Memmeddu and davidjohnperry like this.
  11. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

100oc will only remove "loose" moisture.......you need 350 - 450 oC to remove the "combined" moisture..........the coatings are made from minerals, if you look at the chemical formula for some minerals it will include some H2O.......eg Al2O3.6H20 (I made that up)........this is moisture that is part of the molecule and doesnt give up easily.......this is the last bit of moisture that needs to be removed........manufacturers try to use minerals without it but sometimes you just need to accept it.....this combined moisture can be the difference between below 5 Hdm and below 10 Hdm.

Warm or Hot rods run better as the temperature is nearer that where the volatile elements start to form a plasma......so its easier

Memmeddu, mtt.tr, Dcal and 1 other person like this.
  12. metalmelt Member

Crikey Brad, never tried watercooled rods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Memmeddu and Brad93 like this.
  13. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

They don’t run that great :clapping:

14. metalmelt Member

They don't flow then.

15. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

:clapping:

16. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England