2k paint without thinners

1. ross_m Member

Scotland
    Ok, before lock down I thought I got stocked up on everything I needed. Turns out I forgot to buy thinners. But do I need it? It doesn't mention it in the mixing guidelines in the data sheet below. GenRock 2K and hardener IMG_20200415_162953.jpg

Screenshot_20200415_162816_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

2. qwakers Member

i generally add 10% thinners. i doubt itll spray nicely without.

zx9 likes this.
  3. brightspark

brightspark Member

test a piece if its 2 thick it will orange peel or wont be happy spraying from the nozzle celly thinners works ok but id test a piece 1st

minimutly likes this.
  4. mr haynes Member

Does seem unlikely especially with 1.3 tip

5. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Surely you could still pick up some thinners in current times?

6. mr haynes Member

I suppose you could do a small trial mix, should be obvious just by looking at it if too thick

7. Slowcoach Member

That TDS should include ratio for thinner or viscosity cup details. You have super fast hardener there and it isn’t listed as suitable for that paint on that TDS.
    Can you ask the supplier about the thinner.

8. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    i had some clear the seller claimed no thinner req , yeah it did

as said try a small test piece , if it goes on nice then all good , doesnt need it for drying

9. ross_m Member

Scotland
    Ok, used a 1.4 tip, no thinners. Was actually quite close to the thickness I would have liked it. Went on ok and quite a good finish. Couple of runs on one panel but that's more down to my inexperience with my new gun/ bad lighting / being a novice.

Thanks for the help folks

10. ross_m Member

Scotland
    Well spotted. I didn't notice this. This is what the paint shop gave me. It's seemed to be tacky within 10 mins as per data sheet so hopefully all is well in the morning too.

11. Bluemotion

Bluemotion Member

Not using thinners actually improves curing gloss. On most stuff but not including primers you get a better gloss and the shine doesn’t drop no where near as it would with thinners added. If you think of it this way, thinners is like a foreign body where the drying of the paint just wants to expel it as fast as it can therefore knocking off a big percentage of the shine. You’ll also find it’s now easier to polish it too as there is less dullness to bring back up.

12. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

I was told to add something like 30% thinners to the mix. I think I have a gallon of the stuff sat here if you’re anywhere near stafford.

ETA. Just noticed, Scotland....

13. ross_m Member

Scotland
    Thanks very much for the offer but yes, too far away

Morrisman likes this.
  14. ross_m Member

Scotland
    That does make a lot of sense. It came straight out of the gun like a mirror which is a relief

Bluemotion likes this.
  15. ross_m Member

Scotland
    Thanks all for the replies. Much appreciated

16. RaceDiagnostics Forum Supporter

I used the Genrock Ford Black and the H200 hardener on my suspension, and used a dash of thinners, it worked out perfectly.

Bluemotion likes this.
Advertisements