2 questions from a newbie....

1. oliwb Member

Hey, just bought me my first Mig welder, it's a draper 135 amp turbo mig...I'm liking it so far but.....We were having a go at welding aluminium and my mate might have gotten the wire stuck in the liner.....Don't ask how but we don't have either ends and I don't know what to do! Also whats the best plan on gas bottles....think I need a mostly Argon mix with small (7% CO2 content?) for welding thin steel (some chassis work but mostly body and bulkhead) and stainless steel - obviously i don't want to pay for two bottles! How much do BOC bottles cost as the little ones are just too pricey! Used 2 just mucking about!! Phoned air products but they were gonna be £102/year rental and £25 to fill up. Guy was nice and would be happy doing business with him but it's a lot of money - especially on rental....any suggestions???....Cheers Oli.

2. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

Welcome to the forum Oli. I nearly got a bit of aluminium wire stuck in the liner myself with both ends broken off. That could be tricky to extract. Best bet would probably to unscrew the contact tip (the copper tip on the end of the welder, make sure the cord is straight, then try to extract the wire very gently with long nosed pliers.

BOC bottles are somewhere near £50 per year rental plus about the same refill cost as the ones you found. Try using the search at the top to look for gas bottles - there are a few people who rent out medium sized bottles for less.

Would that be the Sunbeam variety of Tiger?

3. oliwb Member

No, unfortunately not! It's a tiger kitcar....a cat actually! Thanks will give BOC a phone tomorow i think as £50 is a bit more in my price range! Unfotunately your idea to retrieve the ali wire won't work as i've tried that and the wires gone past the swan neck allready.....I was gonna try feeding some mild steel welding wire down it using the welder and see if it can push it out...otherwise I've just ordered a replacement Teflon liner for it anyway so will just have to bin the metal one that came with it....If you can think of any other ideas i'd be gratefull...Cheers Oli.

4. Davie Member

Nice car fella. Thats partly why I wanted to get into welding, to build a kit car.

Had a look at the Tigers. Wot engine you runnin?

And hell yeah, the tiger will pretty much smoke anythin from the lights.

Don't get much better acceleration for the money on 4 wheels!!!!!!!

5. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Bear in mind that air product put more pressure in theire cylinders, so you get more per fill :!:

6. oliwb Member

Got a 1.6 pinto in there at the moment, been lightened, balanced, ported, polished, gas flowed, kent cam and a megajolt kit. Fitting the carbs of a kawasaki ZX7r to her at the moment, managed to design a manifold but quotes of £600 to have it made are a bit too much! So if you know of anyone.......Would love to put a bike engine in it eventualy but there's a few things on the list before i can do that! Thanks for the tip on Airproducts, I think at £100 rental I'll have to go for the BOC root for now and see how i get on, may swap at a later date.....Cheers for all the tips.....and great site, thanks for a warm welcome....Oli.

7. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Yes, to be honest unless you use more than about 3 bottles a year it wont be of any benifit to use airproducts. That i doubt you will.

Advertisements