1st welds then a bit down hill..

1. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

Hi, I bought a nice Clarke 151 setup from a gent on here and had my 1st go at laying some learning welds. I have been reading the tutorials and clearly I need a lot more practice.
    Tried not to fall into going too fast and the 1st weld looked pretty good? With good penetration.

Then they seemed to not be so good and the wire feed seemed too fast or was I starting to rush?
    2mm plate with 6mm wire and CO2 at 10ish - wire speed started at 7, turned down to 6,then 5 but still seemed to be coming out more than I could melt. Power was on A,3, Max.

Appreciate any views
    Cheers
    Chris

• IMG_1579.JPG
    • IMG_1580.JPG
  2. atomant48

atomant48 Member

Salisbury UK
    I’ve got the same machine and never had much luck with it on those high settings. I’d try 2/max and play with the wire speed from there.

fixerupper likes this.
  3. fixerupper

fixerupper Member

Yeah I've got the same machine...I agree with atomant ... Make sure your earth is good and take your time , I found the half a roll 0.6 wire that I had off my old machine did not give very good results with my new Clarke .The new roll of 0.8 that I bought welds much better ....

4. Shoggi

Shoggi Member

Gaz1 has a post on here somewhere for
    The 151 en turbo settings for 2mm plate
    But I can't find it but it's here somewhere

5. Shoggi

Shoggi Member

Try this
    Minimum A button + number 3
    Wire speed 4 or 5
    I wrote this down from the forum I think it was for 2 or 3 mm mild steel

6. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

Is that steel zintec coated by any chance?

7. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

Thanks for the replies Gents, Cheers Shoggi, will test those settings, I was using the suggested Clarke settings.

Steve, to be honest I don't know, I got the plate from eBay but the area I was welding on I did prep and biffed it down with a wire brush, didn't wire brush down the earth clamp point tho thinking about it - doh

8. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

If it is zintec coated steel it will give off some very nasty fumes you certainly don't want to be breathing in.

9. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

Does abrading get rid of it ok?

10. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

To some effect but the grinding disc can also put some into the metal, bound to be less that what was there at the start of course.

11. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

Instantly better smoother results, turned down the gas a bit which seemed to help as well - dunno why?
    Managed to lay my name and actually weld some things together with good penetration.

Thanks for the advice :thumbup:

optima21 likes this.
  12. optima21 Forum Supporter

if its zintec and you dont remove the zinc you usually get a white "fluff" like deposit around the weld

13. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

I usually run the speed around 5 on my 150TE, Have you got a regulator with Litres Per Minute? I now run 10LPM.

14. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

No white fluff before or this time, which is good news - but I biffed it down a lot more with the flap wheel this time.

I do have a reg and with the poor results was set at about 10-11 LPM, turned it down to about 5-6 and there was a lot less spatter and nice smooth weld pool pushing forward.
    Maybe the reg reading is BS on mine?

15. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

Or rather the meter is BS

16. optima21 Forum Supporter

you're better off using a peashooter flow gauge over the end of the mig shroud. it doesnt really matter what the regulator reads, when you find the setting that works for you, stick with it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192136012607

I used to have a CO2 regulator and broke the gauge on it.....its just a pressure gauge, so I just used a normal pressure gauge and was welding at 30psi. I never knew what flow rate that was, it just worked for me

Gragson likes this.
  17. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

Like and appreciate this advice a lot - thank you !
    Ordered the tester and been dicking around with speed adnausea, getting consistent results now on this thickness so well happy.
    Motorbike fuel tank mini project is what I'm limbering up for, need thinner sheet to practice on, and practice and practice.
    Will post a game plan on that after yet more practice :thumbup:

Advertisements