1st weld on car

1. Jay Hicks Member

Hi all,
    This is my first weld on the car (classic mini)
    I thought it looked ok until I ground it back.
    Any suggestions appreciated
    Cheers
    Jay.

• DF6E3955-52F7-4132-A1E4-656B3517F93A.jpeg
  2. brightspark

brightspark Member

ive seen a lot worse done by garages. a blob of weld on the pinholes or catty will sort it :)

3. Mr Roo

Mr Roo Member

Yes - don’t pull your handbrake too hard when it’s back on the road..!

Seriously though, looks like you’re burning through so try turning the welder down and/or your wire speed up just a tad, and work in stitches or spots rather than full welds.

are you using gasless wire or are you welding with gas? use argoshield rather than CO2 (pub gas) as it burns a little less hot.

BarrieJ, Jay Hicks and brightspark like this.
  4. mr haynes Member

Full floor replacement?

5. Jay Hicks Member

Thanks guys, sorry I should have said I’m using Argoshield And a Clarke 130.
    I think it’s on the lowest heat setting so I’ll turn the wire speed up a bit and dress it up tomorrow.

Mr Roo likes this.
  6. Jay Hicks Member

Yes, well in two halves (complete with sills already attached) the tunnel looks okay, the crossmember has seen better days though. I wanted to get the full floor panel but this is a very early mk1 and expensive panel if you can find any in stock.

7. Craig-SM

Craig-SM Member

Biggest problem you have is mine too in that you’re crap at cutting out, leaving a hole bigger than the piece you made to fill it with. Bigger gaps can’t really be filled with weld. Better to cut your piece slightly oversize so it overlaps your hole then use thin cutting disc to cut both pieces together. Tack the two pieces together and repeat all the way round then stitch it all together. That way you only end up with a gap the width of the disc to weld up. This method works when you have access to both sides so you can remove the cut off metal. Otherwise cut slightly larger and trim to a good fit.

8. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    Sounds like going all round Bristol to get to Bath as we’d say down here.
    Just make your patch up to fit, scribe round it, cut the old metal out to the scribe line, weld the patch in.

Jay Hicks, Craig-SM and brightspark like this.
  9. Mr Roo

Mr Roo Member

Or you could do what the real cheaters do...

get some 1mm TIG filler wire and lay it down in the gap while you mig weld over it. Prevents you burning through as much; prevents you chicken-nesting the wire through the back; gives a bit of substance when you grind it flush again...

it’s very very naughty tho...

slim_boy_fat and Jay Hicks like this.
  10. Craig-SM

Craig-SM Member

Yeah, probably poorly described.

Wozzaaah likes this.
  11. tom2207 Member

If your running into grief filling in gaps or odd spots , get some copper and use it as a backer , life gets a lot easier , it works as a heat sink , and weld wont stick to it , I ofetn build up missing tabs , or corners on the copper backing , then grind it down to suit , if you dont have any copper , copper hammer will do , just flap disc the face smooth , and off you go ,,, aluminium does at a push, but coppers the way to go

BarrieJ, arther dailey and Jay Hicks like this.
  12. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    This is a terrible method on thin rotten bodywork, you don't want a gap at all, the gap just increase the chance of the weld blowing through. Try your settings on 2 min, but do really fast tacks, you'll get a flatter weld that won't need as much grinding

13. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

for a first attempt thats darn good , re grinding back though , unless its a concours classic etc where a weld doesnt show why grind it back ? it my look nicer especially with some finish on top , but realisticaly the piece will be weakened , an area around the weld will be thinned as well as the weld , a few tacks on those pin holes and you will know if its right or not . pull the handbrake as hard as you can and see if the floor flexes ,try not to break the hand brake cables etc as you go though. there are many on here that give excellent advice on car repairs , take the advice use some scrap in the same position that you are going to weld in , the practice on same thickness will help you get the power/wire speed right before you work on the patch.

14. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

Oh and welcome to the forum ,enjoy:thumbup:

Jay Hicks likes this.
  15. Al Strachan

Al Strachan Not Funny

plus you get a lot shrinkage with gaps. Having the two edges tight together really helps with this.

Jay Hicks and outofthefire like this.
  16. Jay Hicks Member

Thank you, much appreciated. Operating the handbrake feels good, tiny bit of movement however I’m sure that will stop once the floor goes in, there is very little holding this shell together at the moment :)

• 8EFEEE27-7228-4075-B23E-D9264C394049.jpeg
    arther dailey and vw1 like this.
  17. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    nothing to be ashamed off , huge amount of mot welding at garages isnt that neat

fill them in or a smear of seam sealer , after a bit more work you will get the hang of it

18. Jay Hicks Member

Thank you, I’ve ordered a copper plate so will fill them in and get it a bit neater. Take care.

arther dailey likes this.
  19. Al Strachan

Al Strachan Not Funny

looks a cracking wee project. enjoy.

just a small tip. tie the top of your gas bottle to something to stop it getting knocked over. been there done that....

20. Jay Hicks Member

Thank you.. I’ll do my best, will just keep plugging away (no pun intended) tip noted and will take your advice

Advertisements