1987 Honda Accord restauration.

1. carotman Member

Canada
    1987 Honda Accord restoration.

Well, I decided to show you guys my latest project

I decided to take care of the rust problem on my 1987 Hatchback S. It's been winter driven from 1987 to 2007, 20 years of northeast road salt! The good thing is that it's been rustproofed every year, this is probably what saved this vehicule.

I decided to start with the floor. Once it's nice and pretty again, the rest is easier to work on since it's outside the car thus making less of a mess. I was able to remove the car quite easily in the front but the back is a little more painful. I might try dry ice in the future.

Here's what it looked like when I removed the front left carpet.

[​IMG]

A close-up look shows you that it started to rust around the rubber plug
    [​IMG]

The rear is definitely better, only showing minimal rust.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

With the tar out of the way, you can really see the damage extent. It rusted around the plugs and spread a little further.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Close-up view on the biggest hole.
    [​IMG]

Here's the right side. There was a water lea there but I think it only started recently because the damage would have been alot worse.
    [​IMG]

Once again, it started to rust around the rubber plugs
    [​IMG]

Cleaned!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  2. carotman Member

Canada
    The back right side is a little more rusted than the left side but nothing major.
    [​IMG]

More rusted rubber plugs under the rear seat. I'll have to remove the fuel tank to do a clean job on those. I'll do these later
    [​IMG]

Today, I removed the dashboard and decided to check the source of the right side water leak. I removed the rain tray to see where it was rusted.

I poked everywhere with a flathead screwdriver and was left with this big hole!
    [​IMG]

The left side is better so I'll be able to use this one as a template
    [​IMG]

3. carotman Member

Canada
    Here's the windshield corner after I removed all the rotten metal. There is surface rust that needed to be sandblasted.
    [​IMG]

Here's the corner after a sandblast session and some POR-15 Metal Ready applied to it. (that's what makes the brown color)
    [​IMG]

One sheet of the pinch weld has been redone here:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now it's done and painted with POR15
    [​IMG]

The other side wasn't as bad but I had to re weld some metal here too
    [​IMG]

I had to reweld some metal here too. I don't have a "before" picture but it was a big rust hole before I started
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is the worst part of the rocker panel. The jack point is still strong so it's only sheet metal that needs to be redone. Notice the thick road grime/dirt/anti-rust that's stuck in the fender well.
    [​IMG]

4. carotman Member

Canada
    Here's a picture of what the rocker panel looks like after I enlarged some holes where the rust had gone through.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now, I discovered new holes after I removed all the stuff that was stuck to the fender well. I put all this grime in a bucket and it must weigh like 25 pounds!!! I'll take a picture of this later
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Side bumper mount is gone.
    [​IMG]

This is where the lower rear sub frame bolts to. Fortunately, this is only surface rust that will be all gone when I sandblast it.
    [​IMG]

Finally, this is the inside of the rocker panel
    [​IMG]

This isn't quite a big deal to repair but will take some time.

5. carotman Member

Canada
    Now, I got a replacement rocket panel and wheel arch.

I was wondering what's the best method of replacing those?

Replace the panel as a whole or cut it into pieces?

I think it will do a better job to replace the entire rocker panel.

Also, I was wondering what kind of joint should I use between the door and the wheel arch area? Cut the metal flush between the old and new panel and make butt joint or cut less material and use a joggle tool to make a lap joint?

6. carotman Member

Canada
    Here's the rocker panel I got from Honda. It's a perfect fit

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Blackjack Member

Bristol UK
    Rocker panel, we call them sills.

Best to fit the whole thing as the rear of any join in a panel is a potential place for corrosion to start if you don't have good access to it.

Where it joins the rear wing (fender?) you might want to trim it back a little and to keep the join near a swage line in the panelas that helps cut down on distortion.

At the front where I guess it goes up the A post, again you might want to trim it to keep it away from the door hinge.

Best fitted with the door in place to make sure the gap under the door is good.

Advertisements