1971 Saab 96

1. Dcal Member

@Rannsachair have you got any further on this?
    Looks great so far

2. Rannsachair

Rannsachair Forum Supporter

Cheers, am back to doing the heads, just about finished porting. Been a difficult year: heart surgery last year, then watch and with with cancer: am now a couple of sessions into 6 months of chemotherapy which seems to have slowed me down a bit..... though recently picked up a shrinker/stretcher to help with the bodywork.

stuvy, roofman and slim_boy_fat like this.
  3. Dcal Member

Bloody hell @Rannsachair you've been through the mill!
    Hope you getting back on form but remember it's supposed to be a hobby and dare I day it "fun" (not having much fun with my project at the moment but it will get better)

If you do feel the urge to cobble and there are any bits of bodywork - (patches or the like) I can help you with, just give me a shout (I have most of the kit now)

stuvy, HopefullySoon, galooph and 2 others like this.
  4. Rannsachair

Cheers @Dcal am lucky my 48 year old Saab is nothing like as rusty as your 25 year old Alfa :cool:

5. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    Sorry to hear you are in the wars, you kept that to yourself. Hope you are on the mend.

roofman and Rannsachair like this.
  6. Rannsachair

Cheers @ronan it looks like the chemo is working: the visible tumours have shrunk 80% already, I get a scan after next weeks chemo to confirm how it is doing on the largest tumours on my spleen and bowel. I like to be on the go all the time and am usually fine with 6 hours sleep, I seem a lot more tired and can sleep for 9 hours now!

stuvy, BarrieJ, roofman and 3 others like this.
  7. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

Best wishes pal .

Rannsachair likes this.
  8. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

Jesus fella i never knew you where going through all that stuff...it sounds like you have it kicked into the dirt and i wish you a speedy recovery back to full fitness:thumbup:;)

ronan and Rannsachair like this.
  9. jenki Member

Sorry to hear of the subsequent cancer treatment a heart op is enough for anyone. I hope you continue to improve, Please let us know how you get on health and project wise

roofman, Rannsachair and ronan like this.
  10. melle Member

Jesus Tom, that sucks. Good to hear you're keeping active though. Doing what you love may not directly cure you, but it certainly makes the situation more bearable.

ronan and Rannsachair like this.
  11. Rannsachair

Cheers guys, I am hopeful: the cancer is not curable but the idea is to shrink it down with chemo then fingers crossed i will get a good few years remission before it grows back. Does make you focus on whats important in life: family, friends and quality time - which for me is in the garage working on bikes, cars, on the lathe or the welder. Unfortunately the chemo has been knocking me for 6, have had to take time of work and when too tired/sick to potter I end up buying more tools on the internet......:cool:

12. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

Your right matey once people have joined our club the focus on life stuff completely changes. Iff it does ever grow back in the future there is a very good chance there will be more advanced drugs to keep going so its not as bleak as people think....Being completely open and positive really helped me when i received the fun news in 2015 and ive tried to keep the same attitude since and do what i have always did, well within reason:D. You have my best wishes and admiration going through that nasty Chemo stuff so good luck:thumbup:

jenki, Dcal, ronan and 1 other person like this.
  13. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    God thats rough. But still i have known people who have had severe health conditions and lived long productive happy lives, and fingers crossed you will too. I do agree about whats important, family, friends and what makes you happy.

Rannsachair likes this.
  14. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Spot on. :thumbup: It's this which is keeping me going - the current 'sweeties' are the latest iteration at an horrendous cost, and I'm told if that stops working there's yet another currently in development. :)

TD4, Wallace, roofman and 2 others like this.
  15. Rannsachair

Came to the tough decision today to sell the Saab: My energy levels have not been great over the last couple of years and i have so many projects that i will never get on top of them all. The hospital has warned me that it will take a year after the chemo before I will be back to health, so though I may get quite a few years before the Cancer grows back I know that my old Saab project would be unlikely to get finished in the next few years,
    I got a fair price for it from an enthusiast with a Saab 96 rally car who knows them inside out, so good to see it go to a good home where someone will get it back on the road.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  16. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Sad decision to have to make, but understandable given the circumstances. Keep us posted about the other projects.

Rannsachair likes this.
  17. stuvy

stuvy Member

Sorry to hear that

Hope your on the mend mate

Rannsachair likes this.
  18. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

At least being realistic has given you few bob to spend on other things you can enjoy :thumbup:

Although you did miss a trick, should have got wife/son/daughter/dog to contact the car sos TV show (unknown to you :whistle:) and got it rebuilt for you :laughing:

julianthegypsy, Migmac, ronan and 2 others like this.
  19. stuvy

stuvy Member

My mate was on that. He had his moggy traveller done

Although the outside and interior was done the underside of the bonnet and engine bay wasn’t very good at all

20. Rannsachair

Lol funny enough they joked about it after I said I would sell it - they would be frightened I would lamp Tim as I cannot stand what he does on the show :fighting:

Advertisements