1960 Austin mini Seven

1. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    Plenty of modern cars with foam inside them . . . and the same moisture and rust issues . . .

Jay Hicks likes this.
  2. Matchless

Matchless Member

At least you don't have to carry the rust far to the bins! I used to rally a 1965 grey mini van with 1340cc MG engine, minifins, welded sandwich plate twix engine and gearchange housing, proper S head, single large SU, used it for work as a mobile mechanic every day, great fun but doubt I would fit these days!

slim_boy_fat, Shox Dr and Jay Hicks like this.
  3. Jay Hicks Member

Thanks for the info, very interesting.
    I’m still doing some research, but I may have had some luck with the engine. It’s not the original, the engine plate has long gone, when I removed the engine I had access to the numbers on the block and gearbox. Also took the cover off the cam to read the head casting. It seems very likely to be 997 cooper mated to a cooper s gearbox. I won’t know for sure until I strip it and get some measurements. Of course it needs a full rebuild. That will be last on the very long list.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. Jay Hicks Member

Wow that was some van!
    Lol you’re correct... the bottom 6”s of this car will end up in the bins!

Matchless likes this.
  5. Matchless

Matchless Member

I have a picture somewhere........... no mug next to it for scale though. Green belt motor club Enfield, have my membership card somewhere! 20 years ago I was chatting to my Castrol rep about the old days, had just found my old GBMC card, showed it to him,

6. Melvyn Best Member

Showing your age as well?

7. Melvyn Best Member

Cooper and Cooper S had a remote gearchange with a short straight gear lever, if it is a Cooper box it’s likely had the diff housing from an 850 fitted? 997 cam was a 18g 229 IIRC.

8. KemppiFrog Member

You bet! Drove my first Mini in '64.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. minimutly Member

That was grey once - dove grey? You might think about the (rather expensive) complete floor from mini machine, it would let you concentrate on the rest of the floor, wings, inner wings, flitch panels, boot bodge, door pillars, rear valance, doors, oo, did I miss something out?

10. Jay Hicks Member

Not much done past few days, just working out the best way to cut out the rust and what panels needed.. yes there are many :)

• F19672CA-CF1B-437F-9A57-80F36DDE0899.jpeg
    Olderisbetter likes this.
Advertisements