1954 Morris Minor

1. Wyliecoyote Member

Northern Ireland
    So after all the helpful advice I got on here I plumped for a Clarke 135TE MIG. Really pleased with the machine and I'm learning on the job as regards welding. The joins are a little untidy but I'm getting there and I feel my plug welds are definitely improving.

I posted a video on YouTube to show you all how I'm getting on and also so you realise the scale of the project. Let me know what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnjHASmfQMQ&feature=plcp

2. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Now there's a project! And the "hard yards" are all ahead of you!
    Any Morris Minor tips & tricks can be had from forum member "chickenjohn" though, as he's been where you are before now - and made it through!
    Looks like you have it supported at a decent height, too - so that'll help you not to become completely crippled on a regular basis.
    All the Best,
    CJ

3. slimjim Member

UK Cumbria
    That looks a nice project, get a proper size gas bottle though, your going to need it! :D

It would be easier if you bought or built a roll over jig, must be easier when you can still buy repair panels, unlike my A40 farina:whistle:

4. Wyliecoyote Member

Northern Ireland
  5. WBSL New Member

England
    Plug Welds on Chassis Members

Hi,

Couldn't see on the video properly but did you say you have plug welded a fabrication to the chassis leg? I didn't think was allowable under MOT rules (although I accept it's now exempt from MOT).

6. scotb

scotb Member

7. riess Member

leicester
    aha how strange i watched this video just yesterday and now iv found this thread (spookey)

8. ytre

ytre Member

Northern Ireland
    :clapping: Keep up the good work James, that;ll certainly keep you busy for a while

9. cecotto479 Member

Glasgow UK
    Interesting. That's rusty. I think it should have the 803cc A series out of the A30. My recollection from my Morris Minor days - I had a '54 series 11 - is that the 948 came in with the first of the full screen cars in 1956.

10. Wyliecoyote Member

Northern Ireland
  11. Wyliecoyote Member

Northern Ireland
  12. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Just watched your vids and I have to hand it to you for sticking to the project...those rear inners are daunting...but from the improvements you have been making Im sure you will get it sorted out.

looking forward to more installments, keep up the good work, man!

JP

13. Spot the welders dog

Spot the welders dog Member

Had a quick peep: All was well until I saw this :o moment...

eeek.png

You're certainly not adverse to a challenge - or is it more a case of asking the Doctor to lower the meds? Jury's out :clapping:

14. Woody.v8

Woody.v8 Blue gluer

You've no spare rear springs or steering rack have you:whistle:

15. Wyliecoyote Member

Northern Ireland
    Thanks guys! Yeah I was pretty horrified when i stripped off the glassfibre that had been hiding that little surprise in the rear arch haha

Sorry, no , I've no spares at the minute

Plenty of welding to be getting on with and lots of fabrication to be done too, a skilss I'm teaching myself with clamps and a hammer!!!

16. Wyliecoyote Member

Northern Ireland
  17. Wyliecoyote Member

Northern Ireland
  18. Superbad Member

:laughing: It's pre-1960,it won't need an MoT. So forget all about the resto,put everything back together:D

19. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

If you need any advice, panels, parts etc get in contact with Hairy Neil over on the metal meet forum, he's the man with regard to Morris Minors. I haven't got any more details at the moment but could chase them up later on in the week, PM me if you're interested.

20. cardiffrob Member

Cardiff/St Athan
Advertisements