16a single phase in shed

1. Froweld New Member

Hi everyone. I’ll soon be building myself a small garden worshop which will basically be a decent sized shed with a power supply. I’m looking at R-tech tig and mig machines which although will run on a 13a “normal plug” requires a 16a (blue plug) input to be able to use full capacity. So what my question is; has anyone had a 16a outlet installed at home and how much roughly was the cost and is a 16a outlet doable/allowed in a shed? TIA

2. cheb Forum Supporter

Yes, I've one in the workshop. I don't know how much as I did it myself 20 years ago. There's a ring main for the normal three pin 13A sockets and a radial for the 16A. The nice man from the council signed it off and didn't look aghast when he saw it.

3. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I ran a big armoured cable to the garage and had a consumer unit fitted. I think once you have a main supply sorted you can have whatever you want.

Mine wasn't that expensive but the guy was doing the house so threw it in for cost of materials I think.

Having said that....I run my Kemppi mig off a 13a plug and never needed the 16a circuit for it so might be worth checking what is needed for what you are planning to weld before spending.

LewisT, Ashley Burton and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
Advertisements