10 gallon pot missing bits

1. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

ok, getting ready to start blasting and my auction bargain Neilson 10 gallon blasting pot (£20.00 and full of crushed glass) is missing the gubbins that screws into the top, problem is I don't exactly know what it does, I presume the pressure to the pot is limited? does anyone have any bits or recommend what I need, or an upgrade if it will help me, 20200222_163408_resized.jpg 20200311_114615_resized.jpg 20200311_114612_resized.jpg

2. cheb Forum Supporter

It's missing the inlet gubbins, moisture trap/regulator, on/off valve and hose connector. And a gauge if you want one.

3. julianf

julianf Member

Basically your air line goes to a tee. One side of the tee goes to the top (to pressurise the pot) and the other side goes, via a control valve, to the bottom, to blast the grit along the hose.

I think you need a balancing / control valve but I may be wrong. I have that pot, but I've only used it on a quick test so far.

If you need photos, I can take some, but I reckon you can probably download an assembly / opperation manual from machine mart?

Dcal likes this.
  4. julianf

julianf Member

You will, I'm sure, have a moisture trap on your compressor line anyway, so, what you need for the kit you have to work is probably fairly minimal.

5. Dcal Member

As julianf says

See link below for a photo of my heavily modified used and abused one.
    It still has the same bits although some of mine are tweaked but it's what you will need to replicate in some way.

Is the pipe going into the top of the pot broken?
    There was a thread on here recently about just that issue @waddycall ?

6. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

no broken bits, just been nicked, somewhere I saw a low pressure quoted for the pot,

7. Dcal Member

8. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

ok, just checking, the air supply to the pot is the same pressure as the blast hose?
    what pressure do you run your pot at? assuming a decent air supply and a 3mm nozzle?
    If I replace the std. gun how do you shut the process down?

9. brightspark

brightspark Member

just change the blast jet to an open carbide one .fit a water trap on the air supply to the tank and a ball shut of tap you can use them at full pressure . run mine at about 90 to 100 psi

• blast pot.JPG
    • big blast pot.JPG
  10. Dcal Member

I run mine at 90 psi for as long as the compressor can keep up.

The valve with the yellow handle in brightspark's second photo can be adjusted to divert some air to the pressure pot to blow the grit into the air stream.
    If it's as above (ideal situation) the grit just gets sucked into the air stream but you need a proper media valve for it to work consistently.
    Having to blow grit into the air stream or having too much grit reduces blasting efficiency.

Advertisements