which arc welder.

1. perkins Member

North Cork
    hi lads,
    I said i would ask some people with better knowledge than me.
    im looking to buy a arc machine just for your general farm welding, il be looking at a machine about 160-200 amps. Any advise really appreciated.
    these are some machines im looking at .
    parweld xti 160.
    thermal arc 175se.
    everweld- http://www.walshengineering.com/sho...G Welders/EVER-WELD MMA-180P DC Inverter.html
    are there any others to look out for thanks.
  2. wheresmejumper

wheresmejumper Member

Cork
    whats your budget?
    i went to see that everweld in Walsh Engineering.there was 4 or 5 of them sitting on the shelf used,im presuming returned faulty.
  3. perkins Member

North Cork
    Id say thats the everweld come out the window now if thats what your saying.
    id say a max budget of 500 and it would want to be a reliable maachine at that.
    i like the look of the kemppi minarc 150 but dont any suppliers round here.
  4. wheresmejumper

wheresmejumper Member

Cork
    i would go to Walshes,and speak to owner Dennis.he has a good range of plants within your budget.
  5. Jim_gsxr1000

Jim_gsxr1000 Mechanical Magician

Both are good machines I have a thermal arc, another guy on the forum Chris had the 160xti, and he seems pleased with it
  6. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Friend of mine has the Thermal Arc 175 se from ebay for £215 and is highly delighted with it
  7. super noob Member

Cumbria
    What about an old oil filled one ? I paid £40 for my 180A machine which is a rebranded Pickhill Bantam and it'll outlast any inverter based machine
  8. PTvor Member

UK
    Spoilsport!

Anyway £40 is a very good price for that and there can be snags, such as having to replace the leads or water in the transformer oil.
  9. super noob Member

Cumbria
    I'm still running the original welding leads it has from the 60's :o original power cable was fine too but I upgraded to machine cable at £28 for 6 1/2m

Oil was fine too, undid the bolts on top to check before I fired it up :)
  10. brightspark

brightspark Member

yarm teeside
    leads are just have bolt on lugs and unless the transformer has been left out in torential rain a midges might get down the side of the selector knob and sink to the bottom anyhow mines 40 years old and the oil is as clean as the day it was put in and not a spec of water in it ;)
  11. super noob Member

Cumbria
    yep oil in this one is clean as anything, can see right through it but no idea how old it is :D no doubt shell diala b is expensive for 4 1/2 gallons
  12. PTvor Member

UK
    Us supporters of new, exciting and unreliable technology have to cling to something!

I still say that £40 is a damned good price for a one of those.
  13. super noob Member

Cumbria
    Rod holder is reusable and think the cable is just like 0 gauge power cable like you'd have on a battery but with a different insulator, then just crimp on the lugs properly.

Wouldn't cost much to replace
  14. brightspark

brightspark Member

yarm teeside
    i paid 115 quid for my transformer and the welding leads i relieved them from a job i was working on wiring up verry large 3 phase computers .they all were earth bonded together using 50mm welding cable needless to say i over ordered some :whistle:
  15. super noob Member

Cumbria
    Snigger :D well played ;)
  16. perkins Member

North Cork
    the old oil cooled is out as i would like something easier to lug around.
    id have max budget of 500 euro but id like to buy a auto darking hekmet aswell with the change left from the welder.
    il try the local place and see what they have.
    thanks.
  17. super noob Member

Cumbria
    Gysmi are good
  18. PTvor Member

UK
    Clarke and Draper inverters fetch good money on ebay.

Looking into it, the Clarkes look a lot like the Harbor Freight (Horror Fright) inverters in the US (Chinese) and the Drapers look like low-mid end Deca (Italian). SIP used to rebadge Deca and I think Cemont (Italian). Sealey are Telwin (Italian).

Gysmi inverters ((Made in France) factories in China), available in various flavours

http://www.bricodepot.fr/carpiquet/poste-a-souder-electronique-inverter-spark-130/prod278/

2 year guarantee.

I'm not sure about, I'd like to play with one as long as it didn't cost much. I've got the impression they are rubbish making much of being Made in France, but I'm prepared to be undeceived.

Were I serious about buying an inverter for daily dependable use - IFL *not the rebadged stuff*, EWM, Lorch, and various others going for serious money would be in the frame.

I miss the Which? reports which I think were on telly in the 60s and they boiled kettles dry and such. I think we could do with someone seriously and objectively testing inverter welders. e.g. the claimed duty cycles.
  19. matt1978

matt1978 http://www.uk.masters-of-speed.de/

I totally agree with you it's a real shame that there isn't a independent test done because it would blow wide open all of the false claims about things and where they are made and how they are made. All the rubbish about 'supposed' upgrades made to items in the UK would be also dealt with as would the 'lies' that are printed on data plates regarding performance/output/duty cycle etc.

I for one would welcome such a independent test.

They did something simerla in Germany but all the test data and results are in German. :(
  20. ivanpower Member

If you have 500 to spend...by a Kuhrtreiber kitin 170 amp machine...there about 480 euro!
    It's a European built machine not like all the other machines u named out which are chineese!

It's ment to be an excellent machine with very good duty cycle! Kilkenny welding supplies sell it! They deliver
Recent Posts