What £300 stick welder to buy 2020?

1. oliwb Member

So, in the market for something small and light. Everything else in the workshop is Lorch. Obviously I'd love one of them but even the cheapest is £500+VAT. This is really on a bit of a whim but I have quite a few jobs to do around the place and carting either the TIG or MIG around is a pest. I currently use the TIG for stick when I have to.

Fairly competent but at around £300+VAT there seem to be several options from the likes of R-Tech, ESAB, Miller, Tech Arc etc. Probably won't ever run 4mm rods but it's a nice option to have.

What do people recommend now days?

Thanks,
    Oli.

2. oliwb Member

Oh, should've said...230V only is ok. Obviously being able to run off a generator and 110V is an advantage but probably not anything I'll ever do in honesty.

Memmeddu likes this.
  3. Bornfree Member

I've got a sip hg2600 it's 250amp and it runs 5mm rods with no problems. Slightly over your budget at £369 + vat.

Memmeddu likes this.
  4. Agroshield Member

Consider a Thermal Arc 175 SE or the identical offering with yellow paint from ESAB. An equivalent machine from Parweld would also be worth looking at.

James1979 and Memmeddu like this.
  5. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet #1 Fan of 3M's VHB tape

Leftfield suggestion; Paton VDI 160P from Paton in Poland. Comes with geniune Binzel electrode holder and a carry case similar to a large Peli.

If you flit between Aberdeen and Edinburgh you'd be only a few miles off-course passing me (I've got the 200P) if you fancy a look/shot; have plenty 6013's and 7018's.

Memmeddu and slim_boy_fat like this.
  6. DTS Forum Supporter

GYS e163. Pulse MMA, very light & compact

Tom Orrow L likes this.
  7. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

Good shout, I'll second this one.

DTS likes this.
  8. oliwb Member

What's the "pulse" bit then?

9. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

Useful for pipe welding and positional work etc.. I'm personally not a huge fan of it but some really like it. It's only available on the MMA function, not the DC lift TIG.

10. oliwb Member

So is it like one of these high frequency pulse things (like in MIG) or slow square waveform?

11. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Me,be the TecArc 166i,i've got one,does what it says on the tin

Am333rcr likes this.
  12. DTS Forum Supporter

you pulse much slower with MMA, around 1/2 second (2Hz.). If creating that stacking dimes with MMA is your thing it’s cool or it can help with positional welding. Rare feature on such a well priced machine.

13. chris pruteanu Member

Probably looking at a Kemppi Minarc tig180 is a better alternative, 180 A, HF start and a really smooth welder altogether. Digital readout, easy to use panel and easy to switch between modes as well. The pulse version is nice option too but not really necessary ! I have one and it’s light and very portable, it’s my go to welder when I have jobs on site- yesterday I welded a tractor engine block due to being left with water over the last winter...

14. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

Kemppi minarc 150/151
    Or just suck up the cost and get a Lorch micorstick 160 ;)

Tangledfeet likes this.
  15. Liam567 Member

Ewm Pico 160 here. Love the thing

16. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

2nd the thermal arc 175se i realy like mine :thumbup:

17. Mac168

Mac168 Member

18. oliwb Member

In the end, I ordered an ESAB Rogue 180 Pro. Not had an ESAB machine before so will be interesting to try, but it was the 3 year warranty that clinched it in the end.... Thanks all, I'll let you know what it's like when I take delivery.

DTS and Munkul like this.
  19. tom 748

tom 748 Member

kemppi all the way

20. oliwb Member

To everyone saying Kempi... I'd loved to of tried one, but the cheapest I could find is £389+VAT so they don't fit into the £300 title. They're a similar price to the Lorch and I'm afraid my money would be going that way everytime.

Advertisements