welders prayer for 2009

1. dannyweld Member

london
    God the father grant me strength and courage beside whining plant, under the impact of sheet guillotine and press brake, vulnerable in the face of scorching arc and the horror of welders lung. Thanks be for love. Thy will be done. Amen.

by dannyweld

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  2. bawjaws Member

scotland
    eh? you got a new job? :confused:

3. dannyweld Member

london
    no, not even religous myself, but for those who are and worried about the future it may help.

4. scarecrow

scarecrow Outstanding in his field

Ireland
    :laughing::laughing: is that to rodofgod:laughing:

5. dannyweld Member

london
    its for everybody scarecrow. its been bone chilling on the floor this month. if it puts a grin on your face all the better:D
    have seen on another tread your treating yourself to a new inverter, have seen pics of your mma work, nice, have you done any tig?

6. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    amen Future brother in law is a victor will get him to put in a good word

7. dannyweld Member

london
    maybe he could stick into one of his sermons.

8. scarecrow

Ireland
    It has been pretty cold this month more like global cooling than global warming
    and a new inverter on the way :D im a complete novice at tig but looking forward to learning I have been watching a few you tube videos
    Just to get an idea of the timing so it will be interesting to see how I get on but first Ill have to get some gas is there anywhere I can't get a bottle without having to pay rent as a bottle would do me for quite a while

9. dannyweld Member

london
    hi scarecrow, if you can stickweld i'm sure you will have no problems with tig and your most certainly in the right place to ask for advice. as for gas, well its pure argon generally with tig although i read on the forum some guy said you should use argosheild light tiging mild steel. i get my gas from BOC. argosheild comes in big, medium and small bottles, pure argon in big and small bottle. the rental on a small bottle is'nt much but they are very small bottles, although if you want to be portable. tig welding is an indoor activitey. you need to find out who is the nearest to you, boc or air products and compare prices, get on the phone for an hour and take notes. kilkenny welding supplies (KWS) in portlaiose have a great shop. they are agents for fronius, telwin and a few other brands, give them a ring and see if they do gas, there very nice to deal with. you can get bottles rent free but personaly i dont think its worth the hassel at all and you dont really know whats in the bottles and if there safe. make sure you upload a few pictures of your new welder when it arrives, have checked out the lorch stuff online, looks very nice, there inverter based migs look the business.

10. scarecrow

Ireland
    I'll post a few pics when she arrives
    I have an account with air products I get my oxy from them the bottle rent for oxygen is about €120 I hope argon will be cheaper as I've completely below my budget on the lorch i have got a very good deal from weldequip and with the price of sterling I just couldn't afford to buy it here
    I buy rods from Kilkenny welding supplies sometimes but I didn't know they had a shop in portlaiose they have one in Clonmel as well. I'm not sure that they do gas I think I gave them a ring when I was looking for oxygen
    and I hope you're right if I can stick Weld I should be able to tig I let him know how that goes

11. simon718

simon718 needs to stay off ebay

Norn' Iron
    Iv drawn a complete blank in the north looking for rent free bottles scarecrow...

Danny, was that teddykan that said about argoshield by any chance? He was mistaken, its not the first time... Pure argon, or an argon helium mix are the only gasses for tig.

12. dannyweld Member

london
    your better off spending as much as you can on these things, especaliy on a farm. a good machine will last you many years. make sure you get a proper torch with the tig. i spent about 300 on a torch last year, sounds a lot, but it will last and is a joy to use. i know the shop between kilkenny and clonmel, i bought my telwins there many years ago, KWS main shop is in portloase though, its a big set up, its just off the motorway. i think BOC charge about 70 to rent a big bottle of argon, and its about the same again to fill it. i'd rather BOC, but then some people swear by air products. i lost my driving license (12 points) for a year so i'm of the road, otherwise i would be up and down the n7 every second week, now i'm stuck in shop. if you want strips of stainless to practice on or whatever let me know we'll sort something out.

13. dannyweld Member

london
    fair enough simon, i have only used pure argon myself with the tig so i was'nt sure, i could'nt remember who had said it, i just remember seeing it. maybe he said argon helium, cant remember. i suppose your just as handy sticking with pure argon. you can get rent free bottles no problem, its getting them filled is the problem. they call it "on the knacker" in dublin, i'd rather stick with BOC. you do have to watch the gas thing though, it adds up. i used to have 5 bottles in the shop, now its just 2 and the odd bit of hauling bottles about, but it saves hundreds.

14. blacksmithstris Member

Dorset
    Hello lads,
    Regarding the price of gas bottle rentals, when I first set up a couple of years ago, I took over an account with Air Products- I thought their prices were pretty outrageous, so I got my partner to phone up both them and BOC, (I didn't phone up myself because on the phone people hear my accent and think I'm American and I get rubbish service...)

anyway, by playing them off against each other, all documented with quotes in emails, the prices Air Products ended up charging me ended up about half of the original quote for the Argon, and about a third off for the oxygen and acetylene bottles.

Worth doing if you are the kind of person that won't take no for an answer, and in this economic climate I think companies will probably bend over backwards to keep you as a customer.

worth a try anyway.

15. dannyweld Member

london
    hi blacksmithstris, your dead right, you wont be reading in the papers about BOC going to the wall, these guys make lots of cash all the time, might do a bit of playing myself. all the same i find BOC understanding when it comes to late payment. all the same, "ask for it and you shall receive it". especialy when buying stainless steel.
    p.s. thats out of the bible is'nt it, i'm being very holy in this tread, i think its the sub zero weather.

16. blacksmithstris Member

Dorset
    -7 here, amen! (just like to ad I'm not actually religious either...!)

Recent Posts