Stack of dimes

1. porsche_runner Member

Hello out there. (Don't worry, my mother was British so I can translate. :laughing: )

I often see "bragging" photos of welding that has the "pushed over stack of dimes" look. Here's what I mean:

[​IMG]

A few questions...

1) Does that really indicate a better weld?
    2) How is that done? By changing the arc length as you weld?
  2. shenion

shenion Tool Pack Rat

Stone Mountain, GA USA
    1. It shoes the weld was done with some weaving of the torch instead of a straight line. That widens the bead and may increase penetration. "Better" depends on if you want a wider weld.

2. That is done by using a zig-zag motion. Looks like very small side to side motion in weld. Usually done with zig-zag motion with a bit of curve in the lines.
  3. Luke

Luke Member

Tig welding can look like a chain of circles, I've seen Mig welding done to look like Tig, probably by stop-starting which would make it weeker than a decent seam, so i think it depends on what you want, and what you're using.
  4. irondarren Member

Could be done on a pulse on pulsy synergic machine, if set up right they are supposed to produce near TIG quality welds. But you won't find a good one for less than 6000 quid
  5. Rail_Head

Rail_Head Member

North West
    I've often heard this termed as 'fish scale welds'.

This shows the welds on my mountain bike frame (GT Zasker LE). Its 6061 T6 alli. I think the welds look like a work of art ! would love to be able to weld like that! :artist:
    • 6061 T6.JPG
  6. snowcat

snowcat back in black Staff Member

To get a weld like that you would proberbly be walking the cup or simlar technique to achive the symetry, its makes a nice apperance but boy it's hard work.
  7. porsche_runner Member

Fish scales

Em... Walking the cup? What's that?
  8. Drains

Drains Yeah, nah.

Soggy Sefton, NZ
    Walking the cup - Keeping the ceramic touching the work, rolling the tig torch left and right, and walking it along the job, keeping the filler wire in the weldpool. Gives a very smooth appearance to the weld and can be very fast, compared with the usual style of tigging.
  9. migmag

migmag Member

North east
    Mig welds can be done like that "chain tacking" and is as strong as a seem if done correctly.

I sometimes had to do it on steel work if it was visable.....

Takes alot longer but does look good and is bloody tidier.
  10. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    A good steady hand helps a lot with tig in place where you cant rest the ceramic.

As for mig, set it slightly cooler than maybe you'd normally have, and do a back and forth motion. Will give the apperance, and youll have the time to control the weld.
  11. lexi Member

paisley
    I hate the look of that welding.............looks like a Ragworm!

Alex
  12. Drains

Drains Yeah, nah.

Soggy Sefton, NZ
    mmm..tasty
  13. scarecrow

scarecrow Outstanding in his field

Ireland
Recent Posts