Rotobroach Bench Stand

1. The post from @Windy Miller about his Rotabroach and making a stand for it reminded me of a company selling stands on eBay that enabled you to mount a mag drill onto it to turn it into a drill press, it looked a good design that I thought would be good inspiration for my own design but I can't seem to find it online anymore.
    Anyone have pictures or links to mag drill stands?

Edit: I found the picture of the laser cut one but the one I remembered was made from box and plate.

2. Windy Miller Forum Supporter

Kent, UK
    Is this the one?

3. Wildefalcon Member

Is this the smart way to get a decent bench drill? I've a couple of crappy bench drills, Clarke, etc, all of which are a little flimsy for my taste, and abuse.
    Or is there a better way for about£300?

4. Windy Miller Forum Supporter

Kent, UK
    Well maybe yes, maybe no. They are both diffeent tools really, and they do different jobs. They both do their own jobs really well, but they're not perfect at the other jobs.

My mag drill is single speed, so it would run pretty slow as a bench drill, but I only use it for drilling 14mm+ holes so it's fine for me. I have a 16 speed SIP bench drill that has served me well but yeah the table is a bit flimsy. Easy enough to pop a block/jack underneath to steady it up, so not a massive problem. The thing that I like about it is the convenience though. It just stands there on the bench waiting for me to use it. Speed changes are quick and easy, and the rack and pinion table adjustment is brilliant. The mag drill on a stand wouldn't do this.

Mind you, when I need to use a decent sized hole saw, my pillar drill is rubbish. Too fast even on its slowest speed, and nowhere near enough torque. I have an old 110V Spit sds drill that I use for that. I'd be limited to a 50mm holesaw in the mag drill, so I'll hang on to the Spit! I might get a chuck for the mag drill and see how it fares with a sub 50mm holesaw, but I'm not in a rush to be honest. My current set up works just fine.

I'd not want to lose the bench drill in favour of a mag drill on a stand. If I had £300 to spend I'd get a better (older) bench drill. I'd also want to keep the mag drill, and the Spit!

I probably don't NEED all three drills, but it's very convenient having them. It's great having the choice!

indy4x likes this.
  5. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

i got 4 grinders so three is not that meny :D

one for cutting metal one for brick one for grinding and one for the flap disk its great for the quickness of them but get 3 of them out you do have a trip hazzard or when using them one after another a wire mess to detangle

indy4x likes this.
  6. Bill Edwards Member

Although I keep wanting to make a stand for a mag drill they cannot come close to comparing to a decent pillar drill.

Several times as much travel, adjustable swinging table, easier to change bits (good drill chuck -keyless - or morse taper vs grub screws. Plus changing from proper cutters to a drill chuck can be a faff with mag drills).
    On/off switches may be more accessible on a pillar drill. There's probably more.

But, it must be remembered that many modern pillars (including every single one I have used) are rubbish. Powerless, flimsy or both.

7. Wildefalcon Member

Yes, I think you are right.

A mag drill appeals, but an old pillar drill is the way to go, hassle not withstanding.

Sigh, eBay.

G.

Advertisements