Rivnut tool

1. paulmitchell1984 Member

2. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

take to long to use, mine is a "long arm" type similar to a heavy duty pop riviter gun.....upto 10mm was still easy to use........look at ebay item 132189741642.......had mine a long time now.......think it was about £100 then......
    frank

3. rcx132

rcx132 Philip

On YouTube there's some videos showing how to install Rivnuts without special tools.

4. I have a cheap pop riveter type rivnut tool it works fine on aluminium nuts you really don't need anything more. However I don't think it would last long if I tried using on larger size steel nuts. The setter in the OP looks more like it would be up to the job for steel nuts, especially as the mandrels are just cap head screws and easily replaceable.

5. Ruffian Member

6. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    You can buy direct from the Memfast website and there are some different options available. It's something I keep thinking about buying and this has jogged my memory.

7. armalites Member

Herefordshire
  8. paulmitchell1984 Member

Thats the one we have (or at least same style) at work.

9. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I've just found this which looks like the same tool again but come with more mandrels, the only thing not mentioned is the stroke adjustment but it's clearly the same tool. I just clicked buy it now and the price is cheaper than the page shows, it's £106.90 delivered so with the extra mandrels as well at the rivstud mandrels and a selection of rivnuts it seems good value.
    http://www.dafra.co.uk/home.html

There's also a video showing use.

I think I may order one

paulmitchell1984 likes this.
  10. paulmitchell1984 Member

If yu go through with sale it goes back up in price.

11. paulmitchell1984 Member

I love whiskey...my wallet hates whiskey

Lookes better than the ones at work as its all metal (apart from hand grips) so will see how i go on.

• 20180116_185934.jpg
    smashweld and Ruffian like this.
  12. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I spoke to them today, I think I will order one too, it does look nice. Thats a good service too given we were only discussing at the weekend.

The one on the Rivetwise website says it has "Stroke adjustment with scale display" and the chap at Dafra said theirs does too, I like the fact it does rivstuds too.

13. smashweld Member

14. Wallace

Wallace Member

I have the original Memfast tool they re-designed, the later ones use standard cap heads to pull the insert up instead of an individual specific square drive mandrel.

15. Bill Edwards Member

I think the redesigned Memfast tool looks best, simply because the mandrels, drive and ratchet are all easily and cheaply replaced with common items.

But the type with the built in ratchet as shown above has more sizes (up to M12) as well as rivstuds.
    I want to buy one for times when the big tool I have won't fit, but deciding which is very hard. If the Memfast tool had the extra size and a means of doing studs it's be perfect.

I like the drill attachment type shown on the dafra site as well, for smaller sizes.

16. Wallace

Wallace Member

Memfast were offering a new for old part exchange on their kits at one time upgrading to the newer type. My M6 mandrel broke and they cannot supply spares for them, luckily I have another bespoke M6 tool.

17. Bill Edwards Member

I reckon their newer one can't really be broken or worn out. Cap heads are cheap and easily available. Hex drives the same. Thrust bearings can be had. Spanners are easy.
    Think that's about it!

But I have bitten the bullet and ordered the other type as it does more sizes, time will tell whether it lasts. If needed mandrels I can make (lathe) but if the ratchet mechanism ever dies it'd probably be the end of it.

18. Wallace

Wallace Member

My M6 mandrel snapped like a carrot pulling up sheet metal inserts with the knurled nut, might have been a heat treatment fault as it’s very hard. I see the instructions recommend partial pull up of the inserts, possibly to reduce stress on the tool. I had a few inserts pull up off centre on one job, turned up a thin sleeve for the mandrel to keep them concentric like some of the automatic air operated tools have, worked nicely.

19. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

I’ve the Bralo hand pliers show in that link, good up to m6, m8 is possible but you need to do it in stages, unless you have a grip like an ape.

The long handled tong pliers under them are good value for money as well.

Poor design, or build sequence results in problems with access to install

20. MBB Forum Supporter

Advertisements