repair welds on bmw inconel exhaust - paying job

1. MoreWellie Member

I have a friend with a few small cracks in his bmw inconel exhaust. He is looking for someone to repair it for him and my tig box is still virtually unused so my skills are not up to it

from research it appears to need inconel filler rods (625 or 718 not sure) although one person has offered to do it with stainless filler which sounds wrong to me

If anyone, preferably herts/beds area, is interested in taking this on as a paying job then please contact me and can either put you in touch or work as a go between

the box would be removed from the car so it could be done on the bench and delivered/collected although it looks to be a biggish lump judging from the size of the pavers

IMG-20171012-WA0000.jpg IMG-20171012-WA0001.jpg IMG-20171012-WA0002.jpg

2. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    Are you sure it's inconel? Seems strange to me to use an exotic material on a muffler. Headers yes, especially if on a motorbike.

3. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

First picture shows its had a couple of repairs before, its probably rotting away from the inside, I don't know what BMW exhausts are made of but if it is an inconel will not be easy to weld with all that soot on the inside, its mucky enough stuff to weld when its clean new material, a patch might be easier than trying to weld the crack, and no that's not an offer, I don't do cars.

4. Rocketman Member

I think it's on a M3 - optional extra when new probably.

5. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    Typical BMW why make things simple when you can make them complicated and expensive.:rolleyes:

6. Richard.

Richard. Member

I agree entirely with paul. It's best to patch that with some thin sheet of the same material.
    Your right stainless filler is not correct for welding on inconnel. I would guess 625. Someone might have a spool of 0.8 solid you could take a couple of loops off.
    No I'm not offering to do it either sorry.

7. 8ob

8ob Member

Was thinking the same, looks more like aluminized steel.

Bob

8. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

I thought Inconel didn't rot ? That looks like an aluminised mild exhaust to me as well.

9. They were a costly optional extra. 625 is what you want. Or ring Eisenmann for a replacement.

Having welded 2 exhausts previously, and almost killing myself in the process, it's not an offer..

Looks like it's been opened up and repaired previously, so a replacement would probably be the better option..

10. johnik

johnik Member

as others have said, looks like aluminised mild steel, might be worth a try with a mig first.:scared:

11. MoreWellie Member

are the fumes especially poisonous then?

not my cup of tea but bmw M series owners have a penchant for opening up tailpipes and wrapping the inner tubes to "improve" the sound

12. MoreWellie Member

does anyone know if inconel is magnetic? just in case that is an easy test of the material

13. Richard.

Richard. Member

It's not magnetic.

14. Richiew Tungsten Sharpener

Holt's Gun Gum.

I'll get me coat...

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  15. MoreWellie Member

just asked and a replacement box is £2,500 :(

16. Richard.

Richard. Member

I'll quote you £2499.99 to do it then
    A saving is a saving. :laughing:

17. pdg

pdg Member

I was going to quote £2,750 to do it.

I'll do it so well you'll not be able to see the repairs - I'll even clean it inside and out so well it'll look unused ;)

wookie, eLuSiVeMiTe and Jim Davey like this.
  18. MoreWellie Member

Whilst I knew it was beyond my skills I didn't realise it was that much of a rotten job

Great to have access to such a wealth of knowledge

19. Rocketman Member

Well considering if you look on the internet these exhaust systems don't seem exactly robust I would advise replace with the standard M3 exhaust system or get a custom stainless system made up.

Anyway it only looks like the rear box has gone so just replace that - couple of KG added back on to a modern M3 you will never notice the weight difference.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  20. MoreWellie Member

from the searches I have done it appears to rot quite quickly especially if in contact with other metals

bit surprised bmw used it but I suspect it has weight advantages and given the cost of a replacement I presume they will be happy to take the money for that as well

Advertisements