Paraffin heaters ?

1. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    A local builders providers has a special offer on paraffin heaters , does anyone have any experience of these heaters for heating sheds ? Does burning paraffin give off water in the same way as gas does ?
  2. brightspark

brightspark Member

yarm teeside
  3. tigler Expert on the trivial

Any heater powered by liquid or gas fuel burning directly in the atmosphere will cause massive condensation.
  4. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
  5. MattF Member

Definitely. I believe they say it's a litre of water out for every litre of fuel used, is it not?

That's the reason I've always stuck with an electric heater upto just. They ain't the cheapest to run, but at least they're neutral on the moisture front. No room for a log/coal burner either, (when you also allow for the dead usage zone required around them), so unless I ever figure out a decent way of venting a paraffin heater outside without losing most of the heat from it, electric I'm stuck with.
  6. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Skelton in Cleveland U.K.
    And these days paraffin aint cheap!!!
  7. CompoSimmonite Member

UK
    I used to have a paraffin heater and worked OK. Never had a problem with condensation in a wood shed but also had plenty of ventilation. In the garage never got it hot enough to cause condensation ;-) Now I've got a large propane bottle and use a small blown heater to get the temp up and then change over to a small gas radiant heater near me to stay warm. Outside I use an electric infrared patio heater.

Paul H
  8. MattF Member

Gas heaters are just as bad on the moisture front. Whilst ever the temperature is kept raised, the moisture will stay in the air, (upto a point), but let the temperature drop, and that moisture will condense wherever it can.
  9. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    Yup , condense on my lathe , mill and pillar drill mainly :mad:.
  10. MattF Member

:D Aye, that's the worst problem with large masses of metal. :D That's why I stick with electric options, even though it is just about the most expensive option to run. Solid fuel or electricity are safe heating means, moisture wise. Everything else will eventually give grief around machinery unless there's constant ventilation and airflow, but then you're in a swings and roundabouts situation because you're constantly replacing the heat you're removing/losing.
  11. awemawson Member

If you have a condensation problem in a workshop, one handy solution for big lumps like lathes and milling machines is to put a low wattage bulb in the cabinet somewhere fairly low down. By keeping the chill just slightly off the iron you stop the condensation.
Recent Posts