mig mess lol?

1. drgreen Member

so i thank you all for my help choosing my regulator , heres how my story goes since :P feel free to laugh

i watch the vid to learn what to do, so as a check list for myself lol

1. as instructions say and i dont think they should ''sniff the gas bottle before attach regulator''
    so as i put my nose on the... NO lol i didnt tho i see some idiots might lol (TURN THE GAS ON AND OFF BRIEFLY to disslodge anything in passage to bottle, , done
    2. attach regulator tighten the nut,
    3. put my pipe on the plastic gas pipe, and clip to my regulator,
    4. turn slightly til needle moves, then open all the way! (standing back ready to run a mile)
    5. press the gun and adjust to 10lpm (i think ive just answered what ima bout to ask !!) 6. my welder wire was already set up previously and checked over 0.8mm wire

now! settings.... i see on here there is a guide
    ''The settings are as followed
    Push the middle rocker switch up then for the settings starting at low - high
    1 Low Min
    2 Low Med
    3 Low Max
    Push the middle rocker switch up then for the settings starting at high
    4 High Min
    5 High Med
    6 High Max
    Work on each of these setting for every 1mm thickness as a guide but remember that at the highest setting your welder will only work for a short time before cutting out on thermals.''
    so these setting are done using 3 switches, ....im playing with them form what i THINK is min, going up a setting to try make it start better on the metal (thicknes)

i start layin the beads down! i wil get my pics for ya at the end, now i had a few pop pop stick pop stick while i got the hang of the gas and mig being totaly different from stickwelding,
    Picture 40.jpg

now i lay down some lines, albeit slightly messy /wobbly due to my steady hand ( i was bent over on the seat as i havent made a table yet which didnt help i found the angle being straigh down better than holding it like a stick,
    i am so confused with the settings i think im getting it,
    Picture 41.jpg
    it was stickign to the nozzle, so i increased line speed ...seemed to help some stoped it spitting but occasionaly shot out line if i missed disstance, (im clipping it off with pliers when it does that is there a more practical way of saving it without goind inside?)
    Picture 42.jpg

NOW!!! confident i can lay lines down where i like with penetration visible on the otherwise
    i am SO IMPRESSED how tidy it is and slag free compared to stick like OMG wow, its not a big fat lump its tidy ..ish the holes was whiel i was playing with movement speed

its thin? this due to the wire thickness i guess,
    so MIG is EASY AS HELL!!! but at the same time HARD as BALLS! im confused lol

so i take 2 sheets and im going to join them,
    i blast the paint off with my grinder set them up, and away i go!!! NOPE!! why?? AWAY I GO!!!...nope ya dont ... 10 times over playign with the settings i was sure i understood and worked on my other 2mm sheet metal, now im using 3mm it must need more power settings? same on every setting wtf?? just makign dots allover the metal on this ?
    Picture 43.jpg
    now as i said i think ive answered it? did i need to adjust the gas regulator to more gas pm ? is it about the gas regulation?

sorry the pics are dark, i havent wired them off bit black from gas i think .

so critisize my work or im not gona get better, this was a quick first time blast on the mig it was cool,

my main questions,
    1.MIGMATE TURBO 105 setting switches? if u got 1 please explain lol im googling and playing 2moro
    2.i was making lines changed to a sheet 1mm more, and setting switches didnt help... do i need to adjust the gas? - again im googling this cause i cant stop learning, i just want to be active here and learn :) and i love talking about what im doing .. my friends not interested in metal unfortunatly lol
    3Does the nozzle being old and slightly dirty and the middle copper piece that feeds wires slightly worn be a problem in the sticking or weld?[​IMG]
    4.ANY tips advice welcome

2. pdg

pdg Member

The gas doesn't really need adjusting - 10lpm is fine, if anything a shade on the high side with a little torch.

The gas does the same job as the coating on an arc electrode - it just stops air getting in (ok, it does more than that, but that's enough to know). More gas does not equal more weld - too much gas flow can be as bad as none at all.

The failed blobs look a bit like you forgot to attach the ground, or didn't get good enough contact.

I can't remember the 'order' of the switches on the 105 (I had one myself) but if you post a pic of the front I'm sure it'll come flooding back to me. Either that or connect a volt meter set to at least 50v between the torch and ground (unhook wire feed arm first) and note the voltage when you pull the trigger - the lowest setting is lowest voltage reading.

p.s. don't try to use these voltage readings to compare to any charts or such - the voltage droops a lot when welding on these...

drgreen likes this.
  3. evobilly666 Member

1) You snift the bottle, not sniff it Sniffing certain gasses may cause undesirable side effects:drunk:

Wildefalcon likes this.
  4. gaz1 Member

as a guide only

1.MIGMATE TURBO 105 setting switches

''The settings are as followed
    Push the middle rocker switch up then for the settings starting at low - high
    1 Low Min 1mm adjust your wire speed
    2 Low Med 1mm adjust your wire speed
    3 Low Max 2mm adjust your wire speed

Push the middle rocker switch up then for the settings starting at high
    4 High Min 2mm adjust your wire speed
    5 High Med 3mm adjust your wire speed
    6 High Max 3mm adjust your wire speed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIP-Migma...hash=item1ecd7bbb81:m:m2EY_Wt__0JcmHpQLjrkQLg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIP-Migma...d=132296457089&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

drgreen likes this.
  5. drgreen Member

nah i didnt sniff it xD but it does say to sniff it (reffering to letting a small amoutn go before hand) but thaught it was funny

faield blobs .. now that would kinda make sense i mean i grinded paint off the bottom and thaught laying it on my metal weld plate, but i wouldnt have said it was a solid connection, so il agree there and try again in the morning with a clearner surface for contact ( i weld before my nayber gets home if he knows ive got a gas bottle he wud nick it all the time >< mechanic with no tools and ima fool for wanting to help everyone :S dont liek saying no its negative lol

cool so that im welding a 3mm plate atm woudl the welder be working at its max? and to do any thicker than 3mm id need a bigger welder again?

and thankyou all for the replys <3
    them heads are cheap enough !! ordered :D
    Picture 43.jpg

6. pdg

pdg Member

With those switches, think of high and low as coarse settings, then min/med/max for each of them (when the middle switch is down, that's min and the right switch does nothing - flip the middle one up, then the right selects med (up) and max (down)).

From experience with my 105, 3mm with prep is the max if you want a sound weld - it'll stick thicker together, but not well.

MIG is more finicky than stick with the earth/return - better off attaching the clamp directly to the workpiece unless you're absolutely sure of a very sound connection.

An upgrade of the earth clamp is well worthwhile too - about 4 quid on eBay will get something 10 times better than the abortion they come with...

drgreen likes this.
  7. gaz1 Member

150-151 with a clarke welder as i weld 5mm often would be better for thicker stuff any higher swap back to arc

drgreen likes this.
  8. drgreen Member

nice and wow thankyu sooo much lol, that helps a tonn!!

so what if im wanting to weld like 5mm steel and 10mm steels? can migs not do theses? what do ya do then? torch gas welding or somthing??
    like for example my horse shoes there like 6mm on the big ones, do i have to stick them?
    isnt there a cleaner way ? lol

when u say arc u mean stick yeah? or the propane torches?

9. pdg

pdg Member

My mig will cope up to about 7 or 8mm, but it's nigh on double the power of yours...

A yet bigger one will do more.

Personally, anything over about 6mm or so I get the arc inverter out.

10. drgreen Member

an arc inverter cool, googling it

so to weld nuts n bolts or bolts n scrap thick like this with mig will i need a stronger mig ...for example
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. addjunkie

addjunkie Forum Supporter

To help with the unsteady hand, use both hands, one on the torch the other as a rest, makes a huge difference to tour weld quality!

drgreen likes this.
  12. drgreen Member

works well! ''the dying hand'' effect :D:D thanks for the tip junkie :)

13. pdg

pdg Member

Stuff like that doesn't need huge strength, it's little more than tacked together - yours will do what's illustrated there.

Ultimately I'd say tig or o/a would be most suitable though as you've far more control over filler - mig and arc just keep throwing metal at it...

14. drgreen Member

WOOOOHOOOOO!!!! thats what i wana hear PDG u ledgend !! my sheds full of scrap and my mind it full of ideas my hearts going to be flowing thru this 20l bottle in days i sware ! <3 u all i wana cry wil post back withtodays experiments xD

please hold off rain :/

building a shed on tuesday to work in as rain is coming and my worksheds now a material shed :S i cant get into it lol ...my saws at the back of all my plates :S oops

ond the blue sky has died and its now raining NOOOO :( i feel so miserable lol

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
Advertisements