Lincoln Minimig 180c capacitors

1. Eig

Eig Member

N. Ireland
    New to the forum today - this is my first post so go easy. I have been trawling the web trying to find these capacitors for the Lincoln Minimig 180c. The originals are Rifa PMR2022 (40/085/56) 200vDC / 125vAC. Has anyone any idea where I can find equivalent replacements?

• MIG1.jpg
  2. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Sheffield UK
    Have you tried a Google?

3. Eig

Eig Member

N. Ireland
    Yes - but no luck with google!

4. rtbcomp

Sheffield UK
  5. Eig

Eig Member

N. Ireland
    Thanks but I was thinking of a supplier in the UK - I'm not too clued up on the electronics part so I definately have no idea of how to make these up from separate components, can you explain how to do this. These capacitors look to be wired together so could they all be replaced by a single component - not that that is important.

Jim

6. rtbcomp

Sheffield UK
    They're described as filters here

http://cpc.farnell.com/evox-rifa/pmr209me6470m100/capacitor-class-x2-0-47uf-100r/dp/CA06052

To be honest I don't reckon they're all that critical, probably to do with interference suppression as much as anything.

If you look on the components the two short lines represent the capacitor and the squiggly line the resistor, so the end of one is connected to one end of the other and the free ends across the busbars. The components are symmetrical so it doesn't matter which way round they're connected.

7. Eig

Eig Member

N. Ireland
    Thanks Rtbcomp - the welder is working ok but I was looking inside to try and locate a clicking noise and seen that these were quite burnt looking - if they are filters then they are not playing any critical part - any ideas on the clicking noise, it happens when the machine is idle.

8. rtbcomp

Sheffield UK
    I suppose if they are faulty they could be sparking, try removing them and see if the clicking stops.

Is there a fan that's catching?

9. wannabewelder Member

Norfolk U.K.
    Phew!
    That was a struggle! I eventually managed to find some data for the PMR series http://www.pikpower.com/new site/evoxrifa_b/pdfs_b/datasheets/pmr.pdf
    It seems that the Evox-Rifa PMR series was replaced by the PHE426 series, probably about 10 years ago.
    I suspect that the part may be a snubber associated with the Triac circuitry but it could be, as RTBComp says, for supression.
    PHE426 data is at http://www.kemet.com/kemet/web/homepage/kechome.nsf/file/PHE426%20Series/$file/F3294_PHE426.pdf
    PHE426 are currently listed by Kemet, who took over Evox Rifa and appear to be available from RS

Regards

Wannabe

10. wannabewelder Member

Norfolk U.K.
    Oh, and I meant to add, don't be deceived by their appearance. They should look a bit like (light coloured) toffee which may be the reason that you said that you thought they might be burnt.

Wannabe

11. shenion

shenion Tool Pack Rat

I guess the black scorch marks and cracked case is not important either. ;)

12. Eig

Eig Member

N. Ireland
    Thanks for the info Wannabe - the capacitors especially the one on the left are badly scorced and the plastic casing cracked - they must be taking some kind of hurt.

Incidentially anyone got an idea where I obtain a manual for this machine.

Thanks

Jim

13. Eig

Eig Member

N. Ireland
    Ok found a circuit diagram for it - does anyone have the key for the diagram that outlines the components. There doesn't appear to be a fan in this machine is this correct. I'm also interested to know the duty cycle and the rest of the spec if anyone has it to hand or even if someone can direct me to where I can obtain this - it would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements