Lathe Wiring help needed plz

1. Hi Guys

Could do with a little help plz

Just bought my self a used Colchester Bantam the other day.

when I was looking at it, the seller told me of a fault, only he was a tad wrong about what the switch done,

He was under the impression that the reverse switch was a stop switch, every time he had gone to use the reverse switch thinking it was a stop, the lathe would trip the main fuse board switch.

This is a Bantam 1600, twin speed with a reverse switch, the whole lot runs through a Phase converter (not a rotary phase converter nor a VFD) its has a large transformer and about 8 odd capacitors in the phase box.

He gave me the Colchester original manual, and all the wires on the lathe look to be un toched from the factory (you know you can tell)

but here,s my problem, The manual wiring does not correspond to my lathe, the two speed switch in my lathe is wired up very different to what is shown in the cholesterol manual (its and original switch)

I dont want to sight the lathe only to find out latter that it has a wiring fault.

any one know much about this subject ??? or better still, are you near NW7 London???

2. Richard.

Richard. Member

I'm very much am not your man here for this type of problem but I'd imagine some pics of the wiring/switch would be useful for those with more idea.
    While you have the camera out it would be rude not to get a couple of the machine too. I do really like the bantams.

addjunkie likes this.
  3. Mee Banned

I would suggest it has an aftermarket or replacement motor fitted.

4. Will do.
    It will have to wait till tomorrow now

5. addjunkie

addjunkie Forum Supporter

Sometimes when using phase convertors, wiring is modified, as with a convertor the second phase is manufactured, so any auxiluary , or control circuits are swapped from that phase. Hope that makes sense, electrical jiggery pokery arent my strong suit. I ig up distant education and am lucky enough to have a couple of people whos brains I can pick.

6. No aftermarket motor has been fitted,

the lathe its self has not ever been tampered with as far as I can tell.

its all the original wiring, not chock blocks, cuts and splices, all wires are just the correct length, no short or pulled wires anywhere.
    all the motor connections are the same (not tampered with)

7. daleyd

daleyd Member

Are you sure the manual is original? It could be from the right lathe but different version or vintage.

Or whoever had it could have reworked the switch to give it different functionality (can't think what off the top of my head but any things possible). Pics will definitely help.

8. The manual is a printed manual, not spastic to my exact lathe (as in, it dos not correspond to my lathe serial number)
    it could be for any Bantam Mk1 (as mine is)

the manual has two wiring diagrams, one for the single speed Bantam and one diagram for the twin speed Bantam,

its going to take a hell of a lot of photos to see every switch with all the terminals,

the two speed switch is a tube looking affair, there about 7 terminals just on that switch alone, all coming from different angles

9. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Fixed that for you ;)

Seadog and Piero like this.
  10. daleyd

daleyd Member

Well, the way I'd tackle it is to start sketching out exactly what you have at the moment, with terminal numbers and wire numbers on your drawing. Pick a point and work from there - logically it would go from the power switch and follow through but it may be easier to start at the motor and work back.

It doesn't really matter as it's the same number of wires in the end I guess? Those wafer type switches can sometimes be tricky to decipher but a logical approach, some sketches as you go and some measuring (do you have a multimeter?) should see you right.

11. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Sheffield UK
    Switch predictive text off or check your post before hitting "Post Reply"

12. sorry for the spelling guys, I was born with dislexica .

thanks for the correction slim boy fat

doubleboost and slim_boy_fat like this.
  13. daleyd

thats what I have been doing today, chasing wires from one end to the other with a multi meter.

Thats all well and good, as wires can be traced from power source to the motor, its just that they do not correspond with the manual at the two speed switch.

I didnt want to set up the lathe in her chosen spot, only to have to pull her out latther.

the stand and the bed are separate at the moment.

what I might do is take the motor off the bed, wire her up to the stand (as it was previously wired) and test the forward and reverse

14. brightspark

brightspark Member

shouldn't that be fat boy slim :whistle::laughing:

15. all depends how much he eats

16. daleyd

daleyd Member

If it's just the switch that's the problem then have you a diagram of the wires going to it? 7 wires shouldn't be that diffficult to decipher. (Famous last words lol!)

17. Lol
    exactly,
    Famous last words

give me a min, just loading a couple of photos of the main switch, there was an issue with that I could do with your input on,

daleyd likes this.
  18. daleyd

daleyd Member

Don't get carried away!! I may be as much use a chocolate tea pot!! (Though I'm sure someone will have the answer)

19. ok
    so lets talk about the blue wire, this was the first wire I happened to try and trace from the phase converter or power source.

in the manual, it says it goes from C1 through the main power switch to L3,there its splits off to various places, one being the forward and reverse switch,

Only as you can see, (where I have the pointer) this is the blue wire that goes to the forward and reverse switch

what am I to make of that ?????

20. daleyd

daleyd Member

This is where you need to start to make a drawing, otherwise you'll tie yourself in knots. Trying to do it one wire at a time without sketching it out is not the way to go imo - even just a fag packet drawing will help here.

As a guess it looks like this phase will be used for the control circuit so will be feeding various contactors, used for multi speed and reversing functions. This could be fed through all sorts of auxiliaries so you need to keep track.

WorkshopChris likes this.
Advertisements