Is being a welder a good job?

1. Hugh Jass Member

Well is it?
    I'm currently a mature student studying a course in motorcycle maintance.
    I also am doing an evening class in welding, I have passed my nvq level 1 in oxy and am now doing Mig.
    Thing is I really enjoy my evening class and am really excited about welding, I enjoy it and cannot wait till I get my own Mig welder.

Getting a job as a bike mechanic can be difficult and I am wondering if I am making the right decision. What do I need to do to get a job in the welding industry. Or even as the shop lacky?

Studying for the level 2 qualifications in oxy mig and tig will cost about £2000 and that is a lot of money to me, is it worth persueing? or shall I just stick to being an enthusiastic hobby welder.
  2. toddy Member

royston
    well tbh at the mo there is very little chance of gettng a good start in welding,
    ive been out of work since feb and i must have applyed for over 1500 jobs now and no luck at the mo. and i can do nearly every process there is (mig,tig, mma, fluxcore, subarc and a few more)

if you can get into the indistry it is a really good job, you can earn upto and over 50k a year, and i know guys that do earn that.

and it does not matter if you are nvq 1/2/3 all the indistrys want is the coding. as i have c/g level 3 and nvq level 3 in pipe welding(harder than plate) and it means nouthing.

but i do have asme IX 6g in tig and stick and that is what people want(and i still find it hard)
  3. Hugh Jass Member

well I know that I want to work in the same place all the time and not a deep sea diver or working on building sites around England.
    So I was thinking of a fabricating shop or something, I know that I need practice and a very understanding boss at the start.

Oh and good luck with the job search Toddy, thanks for the advice.
  4. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    I like the mix of stuff you get in general fabrication.
    I wouldnt want to weld all the time. I can sometimes work for 2 or 3 weeks without picking up a welding torch.
    A few days on site makes a nice change now and then.

Iff all you do is weld, id imagine youd find it harder to get a job. If you can operate machines, fabricate, and do a bit of site, you'd be more usefull..... imho.
  5. runnach Banned

Edinburgh
    Same sentiments as Hitch, I've worked with some really good welders over the years, I've also watched them head out the door when they are bagged for lack of work. Fab/Welders are always last to go, obviously due to having fabrication skills. It's tough, very tough out there at the moment, I have lost a few lads (App Fab/Welders/Pipefitter/welders) this year due to recession.

Good luck with what ever route you decide to take.............
  6. lexi Member

paisley
    Lots of my family were Welders in the Shipyards on The Clyde. Was it a good job? It was a good job when there was nowt else. Working in cold windswept conditions on scaffold or inside a freezing ship....that weren`t a good job. It`s a better Hobby than it is a job...........just like most things. There is however a perverse pleasure in doing hard jobs.....a satisfaction.

Most of the old tradesman used to say to me " A good job is one you don`t need to take your jacket off Son "..lol.

Then again if you enjoy your work you have a good job! For the Working Man it`s all about money and possibly fewer alternatives.
  7. craigthewelder officially certified

Sheffield
    I couldn't agree more.

Two of the big fab firms here in Sheffield have been advertising for welders, one got over 350 applicants and the other got close on 500.

When i'm on the shop floor 90% of my time is spend plating, the only welding i do is tig these days, I've got a shop full of lads who are all decent welders.

A plater/welder can do a welders job, a welder can't do a plater/welders job.
  8. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

Yorkshire
    Taking it up as a job is a good way of ruining it as a hobby.;)
  9. Hugh Jass Member

Wow fantastic advice!!!

From reading it and doing some thinking myself I have come to a decision.

My Dad once said "A man who turns his hobby into his job is a very happy man."
    He also said "Familiarity breeds contempt."

Hobby welder it is, I'll just stick to my level one qualification and treat myself to a nice tig welder and buy myself some metal and spend some time in my shed.
  10. gaz_moose Member

in the middle
    if you do something day in day out you will become sick of it.nothing worse than becoming sick of something you used to enjoy.

i like a roast dinner but i would not want one everyday.

spending 8 hours a day with a bucket on my head chasing the blue lady is not my idea of a good job.although i do like it when people apreciate the things that i have welded/made.
  11. miggymarky Member

west mids,uk
    Well to be honest mate,im a qualified plumber and the money isent that good,and so now im moving back into the welding game,besides i cant stand plumbing,and wish i never left my welding job making safes to do it.Another thing now is that there is too much red tape in plumbing now,and so you are forever at college training for this and that.
  12. Wedg1e

Wedg1e Lord of Huckenbove

Teesside, England
    There's some truth in that; I taught myself electronics as a hobbyist and eventually landed a job as an electronics techie... 16 years ago.
    Now I rarely fiddle with electronics at home, but to be fair, most stuff is irrepairable these days anyway.
    Luckily the company has diversified over the years and ironically we get a couple of jobs every year where I need to fabricate stuff!
  13. cookie munsta

cookie munsta Member

australia
    I don't know how to put this but over here there are blokes who can't read a tape or weld with any sort of peno, decent bead profile walking in and out of jobs, its a great trade in australia. we have a thing called a skills shortage so gov is doing what it can to get people skilled and not just welding but mechanics, deisel fitters, fitter machinists, hairdressers, cooks etc. sorry to hear that, I didn't realise it was that bad over there, that put any plan of visiting off for a while, :(
Recent Posts