home made scrap cable stripper

1. brightspark

brightspark Member

yarm teeside
    heres a few pictures of a home made cable stripper i constructed .the wheels on it at the moment are for cable crushing flat twin and earth but can be changed to a slitting disk and guide as well for cutting up armoured cable
    • 003.jpg
    • 004.jpg
    • 005.jpg
    • 002.jpg
    • 012.jpg
    sparkysy, Parm, CRB and 1 other person like this.
  2. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda

Birmingham
    How does it get on with XLPE? I find it a pig to remove the conductor sheath with a blade - seems to be stuck to the conductor.
  3. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    Intresting machine might make one my self will improve the weigh in value
  4. brightspark

brightspark Member

yarm teeside
    it will slice down xlpe no probs :laughing:the cutting wheel is 2 .1/2 inch hardened steel. with a larger set of rollers put on shaft it will slice down up to 3inch diameter armoured at a good rate of knots :laughing:spindle speed is 80 rpm the motors 1 .1/2 hp the only thing it needs is a safety kill button on the table as it doesnt stop if owt gets jammed :(
  5. philpullan Member

england
    how does it work ? it it simply crushed which splits the sheathing or is there a cutting blade i cant see ?

phil
  6. brightspark

brightspark Member

yarm teeside
    the pressure applied between the rollers is that great the cable cores split through the inner and outer sheath of cable .the cores get quite hot on the way out .ive made a slittingwheel and guide in picture for slicing down thicker and armoured cable interchangeable on the shaft. just one nut on shaft to undo and the a frame bearing with wingnuts and wheels can be changed
  7. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    Any chance of some plans
  8. 109party Member

england
    id be interested in plans aswell if possible.
  9. Durara New Member

China
    that sounds scary.:o
    whatever, you've done a good job, and hope you can improve your machine very soon.
  10. trommel New Member

Your top crushing roller appears to be mounted in a roller bearing, but the slitting roller (not the serrated slot roller) in the bottom photo does not. Do you run this slitting roller without a roller bearing?
  11. brightspark

brightspark Member

yarm teeside
    :laughing:the pin through the top roller bearing is hardened steel it allso has a drilling through it and a grease nipple on the end for when using the slitting disc . but isnt neccecary when using the roller bearing . as u said no roller bearing used on slitting disk
  12. trommel New Member

Thanks
  13. barrygibson Member

Hi Brightspark. I showed this machine of yours to my neighbour(i hope you dont mind)He's interested
    in making one,Infact his exact words were on the line of-
    'the mans a genius' lol
    Do you have any plans for this?
  14. brightspark

brightspark Member

yarm teeside
    i havent any plans it was made up as i went along with a bit of trial and error and a few hedaches to overcome a few problems . the only thing i would have changed on it is the final drive would have ben better through a 40 to one reduction gearbox direct to the crusing rollers as the final drive countershaft pulley has a lot of force on the belts and is on its limit for slipping if full crushing force is applied .il strip some of it down showing photos of the parts at the wekend and post them on here;)
  15. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Those photos are taking some developing:whistle::laughing:
  16. DrNik

DrNik Heath Robinsons long lost son

Lol. Quite a while, the mans busy, give him chance
  17. wheresmejumper

wheresmejumper Member

Cork
    Well he didnt say what weekend!
  18. DrNik

DrNik Heath Robinsons long lost son

Ah no it's wekend not weekend, I don't believe whe have had one of those yet......
    brightspark likes this.
  19. brokenbiker Spark that makes sparks

Llanbobyll, south wales
    not due a wekend for another 3-4 years I think...:)
    Maker and brightspark like this.
  20. CRB

CRB Member

A hell of a lot better than me and my utility knife, vice and a pair of pliers.

Top stuff.:clapping:
    brokenbiker likes this.
Recent Posts