Fobco Seven Eight Work in Progress

1. indy4x Forum Supporter

Bought this a few months ago and thought it was about time I made some progress with it

It's an ex school Fobco Seven Eight with the large t slotted table and 3 phase motor. Underneath the grime and surface rust it's in surprisingly good condition.

I had to dismantle it to transport it home and while it was apart I did clean up the column with scotchbrite and WD40 which now looks pretty good and then reassembled it

Fobco 0a.jpg

High lift was needed to lift the head up from the bottom of the column as it's bloody heavy

Fobco 00.jpg

Tonight I made a start on the electrics, wanted to make sure it was safe and fit a new power cable with 16A commando plug

Popped off the side cover and discovered some modifications

Fobco01.jpg

Fobco02.jpg

Looks like it's been wired in while still retaining the original front mounted switches

• Fobco01.jpg
    • Fobco02.jpg
    dazza likes this.
  2. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

To lift the head, put a wooden block under the chuck and turn the star wheel as if to lower the quill, this will lift the head. Lift the table and repeat.

3. indy4x Forum Supporter

At that point I hadn't fitted the table. Table collar, rack and all the gubbins were on there tho.

I had to assemble it on it's side and was trying to keep the weight down as the table weighs a fair bit on it's own. Once upright and head lifted up the column I fitted the table

4. dab4318 Member

Always wanted one of these drills, either this one or a 10/8. They don't come up for sale very often.

indy4x likes this.
  5. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Member

As someone who has trapped their hand between a fobco star head unit and a clamp on the table, take your time! These are lovely machines, think on the ground, like boxford drills

6. indy4x Forum Supporter

@dab4318 it was pure luck I found this one, didn't know they did a ten eight

@Dieselkid 63 that sounds painful and defo not something I wish to emulate

7. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Member

Yes, not fun. When it's back together and you need to lower the head, it's all about that little collar under the head, loosening and giving it a tiny bit of drop, then tighten and repeat. Tedious on your own, it's much simpler (and a better idea) to have a friend to help you

BarrieJ likes this.
  8. dab4318 Member

Same drill I think just has a mt3 instead of your mt2. How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking. It's just I've seen them anywhere from £250 to £1750.

9. indy4x Forum Supporter

I stole it, £25-

:scared:

10. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Member

:o ...lost for words...

Gwil likes this.
  11. dab4318 Member

No way! That's awesome. If anyone knows of any for Sale please let me know!

12. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Provided you can persuade him to put his hand where yours was........:whistle: :laughing: :scared:

13. indy4x Forum Supporter

It was an absolute bargain but in my defence I asked him what he wanted bearing in mind it wasn't connected up to a mains supply so no way of testing, essentially an unknown quantity. I didn't have to think twice and had to stop myself falling over and tearing his hand off when he said the price.

Not always so lucky, my Harrison had a snapped shaft in the gearbox but only discovered it after getting back to South Wales from Crewe and in hindsight it turns out I paid over the odds for my mill

The other downside of owning something old and rare is spares are non existent. There are a few bits missing but should be able to make replacements, luckily they shouldn't affect the basic operation of the drill

14. clueless77

clueless77 Forum Supporter

uk northwest
    The fella from lathes.co.uk has fobco spares

15. indy4x Forum Supporter

That's worth knowing, Will see what I can make and what I can't will drop him an email to see if he can help

16. indy4x Forum Supporter

Bit more progress tonight with the wiring, pulled out the switch unit and replaced the input wiring, wasn't happy with the earthing arrangement so drilled and tapped a blind hole inside the electrics cavity to act as an earth point.

Took off the motor to replace the feed cable, pulley first

fobco11.jpg

Then used the table to support the motor while it was removed

fobco12.jpg

Ready to connect the new wiring

Fobco13.jpg

Appreciate it's out of sequence but found this photo of the column getting a scrub with scotchbrite and WD40

Fobco14.jpg

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. indy4x Forum Supporter

And I hate the white cable but it's the only 3ph stuff I had available so will do for now

18. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Member

I tried scotchbrite first, it was okay, but if you really want a nice job get a wire wheel in your bench grinder and whilst rotating the column very slowly, feed it through. Then put it on a towel on the floor, use autosol, then when its dry use a cloth wheel in a power drill to brighten it up - gives you a mirror shine and makes it a lot smoother too

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  19. indy4x Forum Supporter

Wow, that's dedication, don't have a wire wheel for my bench grinder but do have one for the angle grinder.

I did initially start with a poly disc in the angle grinder but a new disc was a little too fierce but quite happy with the satin finish that the scotchbrite has produced.

Have made a start on the table, again with a poly disc and am quite pleased with the result, only done about 25% of the area but once it's wired up will do the rest

20. dab4318 Member

Your just rubbing it in now! :whistle:

indy4x and slim_boy_fat like this.
Advertisements