Dead man handle and nozzles for blast pot.

  1. I've had one of the 20 gallon ebay blast pot's for a while. Found it a bit frustrating to use with my 3hp compressor unable to keep up.
    Recently upgraded to a road tow compair compressor which is overkill really.
    Problem is I now want to upgrade to larger nozzles to speed things up and I want a better valve / dead man handle.
    Northern Tools used to sell one that looked like this:-
    • Blast Gun.jpg
  2. Anyone know were I can get hold of a similar type handle / nozzle holder. The only ones I can seem to find are the new style cheap ones which basically use a lever to block the end of the nozzle with a piece of rubber, or the full professional style which run two pilot hoses to control an air operated valve.

    Is there a reason Northern tool don't sell this anymore?

    I notice someone is selling nozzles on ebay.|65:10|39:1|240:1318:o
  3. eddie49 Member

    I have one of those, as in your picture. I bought it at a Harbor Freight Tools shop, whilst in USA. It is quite simple, just using a roller to squeeze the hose shut. Harbor Freight do not appear to sell it any more either. Maybe the design was found to be short-lived. Their current product is the lever & rubber block type :
    I have seen that type in very large versions, so I think the basic idea must be good enough for professional use.
  4. eddie49 Member

    My cheap pressure pot originally came with a plain steel tube nozzle. On/off was by way of a ball-valve on the pot. The people who sold it told me I could make my own ceramic nozzles for free, using old spark plugs. Angle-grind the threaded body off, then carefully drill the electrode out, from top to bottom. Push the ribbed insulator end into the blaster hose. I've never actually tried this trick, and it would only provide a fixed, small, size of nozzle, but it would enable the recycling of used spark plugs !
  5. rtbcomp

    rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

    Sheffield UK
    That one on ebay is a £15.00 nozzle from ACE Engineering with a quid's worth of fittings.

    It is IDENTICAL to the method I use and described on here, although I doubt it has a steel liner like mine.

    Be patient, a dicky bird tells me the same will be shortly appearing on Ebay at half the price.
  6. That sounds a little more realistic. You got anything to do with the new cheaper ones?
    I'm thinking of running a 6 or 7mm nozzle to utilise my 130cfm of air and speed things up.
  7. rtbcomp

    rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

    Sheffield UK
    No, I'm not involved in marketing them in any way. The one I mentioned will be a basic cylindrical nozzle, I have been offerred one to try and I will be giving blow by blow details of how to fit them to the 20 gall pots.

    I don't think it will be practical to run 130 cfm through one of the ebay pots, you'll have to up the pressure quite a bit to squeeze that amount of air through and I don't think the hose & fittings will last very long.

    As for the deadman's handle, I manage without a valve at the nozzle, but I work in a blast room so the excess media that is discharged when cutting the air supply to the pot isn't wasted. I prefer not to have too much clutter at the nozzle to get into tight spaces.
  8. To be honest I wasn't expecting to get the full 130cfm through. Like you say some of the hose and fittings for the pot are quite small diameter. May try making a few nozzles in steel first to see what size works best, before I order one in tungsten carbide.
    May in future think about upgrading the pot with larger fittings for more flow or build another from scratch using a propane bottle.
  9. rtbcomp

    rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

    Sheffield UK
    I'd go for the propane bottle option. A 47 KG bottle should keep you going for a while :o

    It's always handy to have a couple of pots, I have one for grit and one for glass beads.

    I'm expecting the tungsten carbide nozzles to be available in 7 - 10 days.
  10. bob the builder Member

    derbyshire uk
    The cfm is just volume it has nothing to do with the pressure and will only affect the pot if there is to little which is not the case....
  11. rtbcomp

    rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

    Sheffield UK
  12. graffian

    graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

    We used a road compressor. We didn't have any sort of nozzle just a length of blasting hose.

    For the switch you use a pedal and a valve, air operated.

    If your running a road compressor you want to cool the air, we had several large air con condensors to cool the air. With a 1" drip leg drain left sligthly open water just poured out of it.