clarke 100e mk2 problem

  1. jeff smith Member

    Posts: 7
    west sussex
    HI,
    I'm new to the forum and what i've read so far looks REALLY useful.I've a niggling problem with my 20 year old 100e-one that has, to be fair, plagued me on an off with this machine from the start.AS soon as the weld wire meets resistance or doesn't complete the arc the wire bunches up in a mess at the roller just before the liner.THe clamp device that holds/grips the liner close to the rollers is now broken allowing the liner to shift making the problem even worse.Is this part still available and from where?Is there a mod i can make from a later machine ?Would a steel liner help if available?

    Jeff
  2. malcolm

    malcolm Administrator Staff Member

    Posts: 8,168
    Bedford UK
    Welcome to the forum Jeff. The bunching up will mostly be because the end of the liner is too far from the rollers. If the clamp is broken make something up to hold the end of the liner in place as close as you can to the rollers. Otherwise probably the clamp is part of the assembly hence lots of £££ to replace.

    20 years would be a good old age for a liner. They are service items much like the oil in a car. A nice steel liner would probably make the welder much easier to use.
  3. jeff smith Member

    Posts: 7
    west sussex
    Thanks Malcolm-i have replaced the liner with new plastic ones,but it really is that clamp device that's giving me grief.Any idea where i might get that part from.I understand there's a poster on here called 'weldequip'who does parts etc.LIke the idea of a steel liner too.
  4. malcolm

    malcolm Administrator Staff Member

    Posts: 8,168
    Bedford UK
    Would definately send a private message to weldequip - he'll have them if they are available http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=461 and seek the send message link below the picture on the left.

    Has the clamp actually snapped? If it's just a bit loose a bit of packing might do the job. Otherwise I'd just replace it with a bit of metal with a couple of holes for the screws.
  5. jeff smith Member

    Posts: 7
    west sussex
    JUst posted weldequip.The clamp has lost it's tangs that grip the wire liner.Unfortunately,i can't see a way of bodging it.Looked inside a modern 100e when i was down at machine mart recently and the design of the wire rollers/clamp is completely different.I was suprised that the old welder was still ,in production.Apart from afew minor differences-it looked pretty much the same.
  6. malcolm

    malcolm Administrator Staff Member

    Posts: 8,168
    Bedford UK
    Well they couldn't kill off the Clarke 100e - there would be a public outcry. 2CV all over again. :laughing:

    Would a bit of old rubber inner tube under the clamp not grip the liner well enough?
  7. jeff smith Member

    Posts: 7
    west sussex
    2cv s......Love em to death.I must have had about 30 of the things over the years and spent many hours welding em up to keep em on the road.Loads of fun.Sold my last one about five years ago to help finance a rekindled interest in motor bikes.I'll probably get another one someday.
    Had a look at that clamp and really can't see how to get around the problem.At the moment i'm waiting for some araldite to dry-i've actually tried to glue the liner to the clamp as a last ditch bodge.You may be able to tell i'm quite attached to this old welder and am determined to get it working properly.
  8. malcolm

    malcolm Administrator Staff Member

    Posts: 8,168
    Bedford UK
  9. rtbcomp

    rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

    You need to adjust the tension on the pinch roller so that the wire feeds but skids when resistance is met. On my old Clarke it was a sod to adjust though.
  10. jeff smith Member

    Posts: 7
    west sussex
    Yep.2cv s are bags more fun though R4's come close.
    Thing i loved about the 2cv is the sheer quirkyness.I remember impressing my mates at work one night shift when i needed to change the clutch after a nightmare commute from the south coast to london.I had the engine in and out,cluth changed in less than an hour and i could lift the pathetically light engine all on my todd.They all just sat around drinking tea gawping!
    Araldite worked to a fashion-seems to be just gripping the liner.Fiddling with the roller tension has helped.T4 the advice.
  11. Lawrence Oswald Member

    Posts: 2
    Falcon, CO
    100E steel tube

    I had a similar problem with mine as the metal tube would come loose from the clamp. I used a short piece of heat shrink tubing on the metal tube in the clamp and no more problem. YOu might be lucky like I was.
  12. Lawrence Oswald Member

    Posts: 2
    Falcon, CO
    I may have posted in wrong spot but I used a short piece of heat shrink tubing on the metal tube and then clamped it and it has stayed in place.
  13. jeff smith Member

    Posts: 7
    west sussex
    Thanks Lawrence-just picked up your reply.Having another go at fixing it now.
Recent Posts