Bike Question

1. Windy Miller Forum Supporter

Kent, UK
    Yesterday, I had the tank off my CB1300 top replace one of the throttle cables (what a faff that was!), and when I eventually got it finished, I stupidly forgot to put one of the rubber pipes back into the bottom of the tank. I think it was a breather pipe.

It started OK, and I had a quick run to the end of the road and back without issue. However, when I was turning it around in the driveway, it suddenly cut out and wouldn't start again. I quickly found the loose pipe and popped it back on again, but it still wouldn't start. Turned out that the fuse for the fuel injection and the ignition had blown.

I replaced the fuse and all was good again. I rode it to work (about 30 miles) this morning without incident.

My question is - why did the fuse blow? Could it have been because the pipe was not fitted the fuel pump was working overtime and drawing too much current? I'm just worried that the fuse will blow again.

Motorway riding is dangerous enough without having a bike that cuts out whenever it wants to!

Any thoughts Gents?

2. Crater Creator

Crater Creator Forum Supporter

My guess would be that it was the vacuum hose to open the auto petcock, so the fuel pump suction was blocked and the pump then overloaded.

zeppelin builder and Rannsachair like this.
  3. dobbslc

dobbslc Member

Could you have trapped a cable?

mrfuzzy and Gwil like this.
  4. Windy Miller Forum Supporter

Kent, UK
    That would make sense!

That was the first thing I checked - no cables or wires were trapped or harmed during the refitting of the tank!

Shox Dr likes this.
  5. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

I thought FI (Fuel Injection) bikes had done away with petcocks?, pump normally mounted in tank. Still doesn't solve the problem :(

6. Pete.

Pete. Member

No petcock on fuel injected bikes usually. Is the pump internal to the tank or external?

This has long been a common fault on Hayabusas, randomly blowing the fuel pump fuse especially after doing some work or servicing. The commonly-accepted cure for it is swap the 10a fuse for a 15a.

7. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Moving the tank and tipping it up (?) might have dislodged a fair bit of crud which settles harmlessly in the tank. It might block or foul the filter(s) and give the fuel pump some grief until it clears - or you give it a good clean out.

8. Windy Miller Forum Supporter

Kent, UK
    This one's got the pump inside the tank.
    The fuse is already rated at 20A, so I don't want to go any higher than that! Did Canary Wharf and back today (about 60 ish miles) and it never missed a beat, so I'm hoping it was that pipe that overloaded the pump.

Tank is clean and shiny inside, so I doubt there's any crap in it.

9. wookie

wookie Can't I have an easy job for once ?

Usually under a car in my garage that's halfway up a Welsh mountain
    I'd be sticking a DMM in place of the fuse and measuring what the current draw actually is.

Or plug one of these in http://cpc.farnell.com/tenma/ten01046/current-tester-automotive-std/dp/IN0487402?ost=IN0487402&searchView=table&iscrfnonsku=false&ddkey=http:en-CPC/CPC_United_Kingdom/search it's good for 20A, I have one and it's a handy little tool, just need to watch that the on switch doesn't get pressed in your tool bag and you end up with a flat battery.
    [​IMG]

zeppelin builder and Pete. like this.
  10. Pete.

Pete. Member

I wouldn't fit a fuse bigger than 20a TBH it seems big for a fuel pump fuse as it is. I had a bosch 044 on my bike good for 600hp worth of fuel and that only had a 15a fuse.

11. Windy Miller Forum Supporter

Kent, UK
    That looks a very handy gadget - never knew such a thing existed!

Quite agree Pete - I won't be uprating it. It IS a big fuse, but that circuit also runs the ignition too, so that explains the extra capacity.

12. chris y Member

Durham England
    What a good thing, I didn't know they existed, I'll be having one.

Advertisements