Bench Vice recommendations

1. stormin Member

Bit down this evening after busting my 6" Sealey bench vice. Only trying to undo a nut with the two foot breaker bar and it's sheared the top of the casting off. Doesn't look to difficult to weld but I couldn't trust it again afterwards.

What are other peoples recommendations?

Obviously Record are good but very pricey. My last one wasn't particularly cheap around £50-60, but I wouldn't buy another Sealey.
  2. the snooper

the snooper old school demolished

EARTH UK
    i have a six inch vice that has been welded over 17 years ago strong as an ox cant think what make it is though.
  3. littlenewt2067

littlenewt2067 Member

I picked up a Record 111 for about £40 second hand but I tried it out tonight and doesnt seem to tighten up very tight. As it tightens, the quick release jumps and it slackens off? Is it boned out??
  4. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Strip and lubricate it. I got one on a bench with a shed I bought and the quick release was sticking. Push the lever back in the opposite direction as you close the jaws to see if it will go tighter.
  5. Arsonista

Arsonista Member

Berkshire
    'V'eed' out properly and welded with the right rods it should be OK or at least see you through 'til you can get another. Someone on here will have a few cast rods. I wouldn't buy new though, most of the new one's I've seen are crap, get an old Record, they're pretty near bullet proof.

Edit to add - If you do weld it with cast rods, try and do it outside. The fumes are horrible.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  6. Bsmith Member

I welded a 6" Record vice in the past, its still in use today. It was broken across the almost square slide part and front jaw, V'd out and o/a welded with cast iron rods and flux.
  7. stormin Member

Keep thinking of repair. Even if only for use as a spare vice.

Only got a mig welder though no stick. I'll have to see if I can get a friend to do it for me.
  8. HasBean

HasBean Member

Jersey
    I've got an old Paramo, had it for 15 years and my dad had it for 15 years before me so it can't be too bad ;)
  9. stormin Member

I've heard of the Paramo make before. Thought machine mart did them but seems not anymore.
  10. Luke

Luke Member

I picked up a Record No25 for 20 quid off ebay. It'd been left for dead, poor thing. Before then it'd been used by someone welding alot, it was in a right state.

Few hours cleaning it up, and some new jaws, and it's good to go :)
    • ebaypic.jpg
    • P9250083 (Large).jpg
  11. eil Member

N Wales
    How are you going to be able to strike an arc on the front of the vice now Luke after youve painted it :laughing:....... nice job
  12. Bsmith Member

Apart from the Record, I acquired 2 second hand Samsonia vices. I think they are unbreakable.
  13. peterd51

peterd51 happy to be here!

Hi,

beautifully done!

Where did you get the 'new jaws' from please? I have the same vice and the ends of the jaws have been 'caught' by the grinder a fair few times.

Regards
    Peter
  14. Luke

Luke Member

I got my jaws from the local engineering supplies place, but i've also found them using google. They're quite dear but i thought it was worth it, considering what i picked the vice up for.

this link should help.

Cheers,

Luke
  15. peterd51

peterd51 happy to be here!

Hi Luke,

nice one!

Thanks
    Peter
  16. Litemoth pre-moderated

Llantrisant
    Don't waste your time and money grafting it back together - it was shite to start with. Get a Record (Not a modern Irwin-Record) or a Woden.

No 23 or 25 (larger quick release type) or a No 6. Depending on what jaw sizes you're after of course.
  17. Litemoth pre-moderated

Llantrisant
    The nut is fecked. You have to buy the spindle and nut assembly (was quoted around £100 for mine) but see if you can grind the burrs off the nut with a dremel - worked on mine!
Recent Posts