Are these AC DC Tigs any good?

1. fizzy Member

uk
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. Arclikeharrypotter Member

I don't know much about tig, but I do know for that sort of money you can buy yourself a machine from a decent/reputable manufacturer with backup. Maybe have a look on some dedicated welding shops, don't forget that the list price is only a guideline.

3. fizzy Member

uk
    315amp TIGs like these from a known company tend to be £2000 plus!

4. Arclikeharrypotter Member

Apologies fizzy I didn't take note of the A outputs!

fizzy likes this.
  5. Richard.

Richard. Member

I've used the sip (single phase version of the one in your link) and it was awful. Sorry to disappoint but the ac arc stability was one I wouldn't give a tenna for. Your dead right 300 amps doesn't come cheap. In fact AC/DC tig welding in general doesn't come cheap. You get what you pay for.
    What is the need for 300 amps out of interest. Planning on doing some thick alu work?

6. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    They look like just the generic Chinese iverters rebadged. They are all three phase. You could buy a decent second hand transformer set for less if you have 415v supply.

7. gt6s Member

The Stamos and the SIP look identical the Sherman is slightly different, but that does not mean much. Apart from that You might be able to get the SIP repaired in the UK. But who am I to comment I have a Stahlwerk ? If I had three phase I would have had AC/DC TIG many years ago when I worked in the welder and generator hire trade. We had MOUNTAINS of old Kempi lying about unused NEVER put out to hire nor even on the hire fleet books. I could have got one of those just by asking.

Laurence

8. fizzy Member

uk
    I bought a nice migatronic mte but even on low power it was tripping out our supply. I ended up selling it - wish I hadn't. Should have just upped the supply. They seem to be silly money now.

9. fizzy Member

uk
    I always tend to exceed the limits of whatever I buy! I think the thinnest steel I have welded so far is 3mm - usually do 6mm plus so I bet ali will be the same!

10. Richard.

Richard. Member

Look for a used syncrowave within budget. Far better way to spend your money

11. Richard.

Richard. Member

Lots of sync's on eBay.
    Super machines if you can feed em leccy.

• IMG_1977.PNG
    • IMG_1978.PNG
    • IMG_1979.PNG
    • IMG_1980.PNG
    • IMG_1981.PNG
    fizzy likes this.
  12. fizzy Member

uk
    Do you mean an inverter type or old transformer?
    I just don't have a big enough supply for the transformers - 3 phase 16 amp on each feed I think is my limit. The inverters will run easily.
    Or it might be 32amp.

13. Richard.

Richard. Member

Top one (stel) is an inverter.
    Syncs are all transformers.

14. KemppiFrog Member

I always am a bit wary of ads that have .co.uk addresses, but the English is a bit ungrammatical or just plain odd. If I was trying to sell in a foreign market, I would either learn the lingo (as I did) or find someone to do it for me. The Chinese are quite bad at this, but at least their typeface usually gives the game away.

Advertisements