Another novice :D

1. BigErn Member

Sunderland
    Hello folks. Im not completely new to welding but it has been over 2 years, maybe longer, since I held a torch and now I want to brush up a bit.

I was never a good welder back when I used one, but working in a body shop I had to learn as I used to have to repair and patch the odd body panel. At best my work was passable but was nowhere near the quality I want to achieve. I also did also do some work to the 4 poster ramp and up to now thats still holding cars and vans in the air.:laughing:

A mate of mine has just offered me a cheap mig set and, after wanting my own for some time, I bought it. It is in brand new condition, not sure if thats a good or bad thing, he bought it on impulse because it was cheap but he already has a good set and has no use for it.

Now.... this is the part where you all tell me its a crap set.

Its a Rockworth AR120 and I gave him the £80 back he paid for it.

All I will be doing with the set is the odd job on the cars, sills and the occasional chassis patch, the usual DIY type stuff. I will also be using it to work on a couple of bike builds I have on the go at the moment too, doing things like mounting new foot hangars and brackets etc.

Welding is something I have always had an interest in, along with other metal working, so I hope to become a bit of a regular in time.

2. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Somerset
    Hi BigErn & welcome to the forum!
    Are you sure he did it in that order? Maybe the Rockworth came first, and then he realised his mistake & bought the other welder.
    From what I've read so far, that would be the normal way around.
    This may explain why it's in brand new condition.

Here are a couple of threads to be going on with:-

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20979

And...

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3331

Look on the bright side - having welded before, you may not find it too bad!
    Might as well give it a try, but if you feel as if you've got much worse at welding, it may well be the unit, and not you!

Hope this helps,
    All the Best,
    CJ

3. welcome to the forum

4. BigErn Member

Sunderland
    Cheers for the welcome, and see I told you you were going to tell me Id bought a crap set.

Joe I know he's had his other set for about 4 years now and loves it. This was bought just because he thought it was cheap, then realised he had no need for it.

Well I may as well try it now and see how I get on with it I suppose.

5. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Somerset
    I re-worded it a few times in an attempt to remove the doom & gloom!
    But like you say, you might as well try it.
    Is it gasless?
    CJ

6. BigErn Member

Sunderland
    Haha well for £80 Ill try it once then if I dont like it Im sure it will go on Ebay or something to another person like me who just thought "oh a cheap MIG, Ill have that" :laughing:

No if it was gasless I would'nt have touched it as I tried gasless once and couldnt get away with it.

Recent Posts