1 1/2 inch steel

1. Bob Woodstock New Member

Canada
    I am new to this forum and need advice. In the last welding shop I worked at, I was told that the weld size (leg lengths) were to be 3/4 of the size of the smallest piece of steel that you are welding to. For example, if you are welding a fillet joint consisting of both pieces being 1 inch thick, the leg lengths of the weld would be 3/4 of an inch.
    In the new shop I am now at, we are to match the leg lengths equal to the thickness of the steel we are welding to. For example, if you are welding a fillet joint consisting of both pieces being 1 inch thick, the leg lengths of the weld would be 1 inch.
    I am using a 3 phase miller welder with lincoln electric .052 metalshield (metal core) wire. My voltage is 31 and I.P.M. (inches-per-minute) is 400. I find with these parameters the welds come out very nicely. The pieces I was welding on today were 1 1/2 inch thick. The leg legenths on my welds were apx. 1 1/8 inch. I was told by my boss I did it incorrectly by not making the legs 1 1/2 inch.
    I would like to know who is right.
    It has been 10 years since I have been in school, and cannot find my old text.
    Regards
    Bob Woodstock
  2. Ed. Member

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  3. aametalmaster Member

Salem Ohio USA
    Good Link Ed...Bob
  4. Bob Woodstock New Member

Canada
    Hi Ed, thank's for responding so soon. What my company does is build excavator buckets and attachments. Most of the materials we use is pretty rugged ( qt 400, 200, w 44, ect) Alot of it is thick stuff, and usually some of it needs to be pre-heated (tooth adapters, cutting-edges, ect.)
    We do several passes to accomplish what we need to get and always get some type of distortion on the hook-ups. We use torches and press to get the hook-ups back into allignment though.
    I guess my question is, is there a one-to-one ratio between the leg legenths and the thickness of the metal? I just down-loaded your URL's and plan on reading them tomorow at work during breaks.
    I appriciate the help you have given me so far.
    Bob
  5. snowcat

snowcat back in black Staff Member

0.7 is the minimum recommended thickness by most of the institutes I have a book on fillet inspection some ware and IL double check, your firm however may consider plate thickness to be boots and braces and I suspect like me they have seen fillet corners ripped apart by operators, I normally add more to the throats on the edges and cheeks then use 0.7 as a guide for the rest of the bucket, the fact there using cored wires over solid shows they are concerned for strength..
  6. Ed. Member

Hi Bob, no problems. At the end of the day they pay your wages so if they want bigger... give them bigger. With that sort of equipment and the use that sort of equipment gets at the hands of those who couldn't care less about looking after that equipment, your boss probably wants to make sure it doesn't tear apart. The extra time it takes to make bigger welds is probably worth it to him and is considerably less costly than if it comes back to be repaired under warranty regardless of the cause of failure.
  7. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

North Wales
    Less is always wrong, but if they want more & are paying for it, give it to them.
  8. Delgado Member

Slough UK
    It's always the same with production mig work... "Can't you make it a little bit thinner?" "Can't you make it a little bit wider?", "Can't you go a bit slower and do that weld in one pass?" They're never happy, no matter how you do it, and of course the boss always knows best:mad:!

As far as I can remember, as said, it's normally done by throat thickness (A), with the formular being A=0.7x T (T= the thickness of the material). If you're working to drawings, (which I'm guessing you are) then they should really have the weld spec on them, but I guess some companys just leave it down to the fabricators judgement (Read Boss'). It can vary depending on the aplication, and sometimes they even give you a range Eg. Min A = 0.4 xT, max A = 0.7 x T.

Ps. Your settings sound pretty spot on, are you using tri-mix gas?
  9. Sparkey

Sparkey still sitting in my corner of the forum

France
    :o:o:o:o
    Blimey!! do we have the same boss????? or maybe a long lost twin brother!!:o
    My foreworker's a pain too....:( he knows all, can do everything better, (and this he said to me literally!) he never makes mistakes!!!:o
    "big sigh" he often does drive me nuts....can't wait for the holidays to arrive!
  10. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Most of the critical stuff that i get involved with has specific instructions for welding. Spec'ing minimum sizes. Often joint design makes a lot of difference, quite often get 15mm material with only a 8mm fillet.
    I have a weld chart from one of our customers somewhere, gives general specs, ill see if i can dig it out.
  11. Delgado Member

Slough UK
    Sounds like a right tw@t! Where I was working before the forman was alright, perhaps a bit sarcastic at times, but alright. The boss however was a nightmare, he'd tell you to stop and do something 'his way'(fair enough I guess, he was "the boss") and when you replied that the foreman (who actually knew alot more about the science of welding) had told you to do it that way, you'd get an answer like "oh you must have not understood him properly" or some BS reason why his way was better. We used to take bets every morning as to who the boss was going to spend the day following around the workshop and critisizing their every move.:laughing:

Sorry for going a bit off topic guys!
  12. Tino

Tino Member

Hi. Bob. I think that you would be right, but a lot depends on what the joint is doing. As Hitch pointed out a small weld is good enough in the right place. I do similar work (take a look at my photos) and most often to much is the way to go.
  13. brightspark

brightspark Member

yarm teeside
Recent Posts