written welding test

1. mspence0000 Member

decatur , al
    Hi guys I'm gonna be relocating to a new town and am gonna be getting a new job. I can pass a welding test as far as welding goes, but they also have a written test. I've never taken a written test, and I dont know all of the technical stuff. I can weld, but I just don't know the insides and outs as far as temps and things go. I mean If I can tell when to turn it up or down on different metals, just don't know the different temps for different metals and so forth. Also about different gauge wire for different thickness of metals. Does anyone know of an online test that explains all of the Qs and As ? I've done a google search but no luck. thanks.

2. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

Someone will probably know of a better reference, but some of the welding books on Amazon are aimed at students and have some written questions.

Probably not the best example, but "Practical Welding" (ISBN 0333609573) has written questions at the end of each chapter. They are really for checking you've read the chapter, but they might give you some practice.

Stuff like: "When examining a single "V" butt weld that has been made by the manual metal arc process you notice there is undercutting on the surface and lack of penetration at the root. Give two possible causes for each of these defects".

3. mspence0000 Member

decatur , al
    Thanks malcom, what I might do is go down to books-a-million with some paper and a pen hehe. Mabey they will have a book there with some of the things you are talking about.

Advertisements