Worth salvaging this tank?

1. Wedg1e

Wedg1e They call me Mr. Bodge-angles

We have one of these in the scrap pile at work, it's a water pressure booster. Sadly it was left in a shed with water in (the pump, not the shed) and the plastic housing split. So another one was acquired and this one's on its way out.
    I was looking at the air receiver and wondering whether it'd make a nice reservoir for e.g. an airbrush... but I have enough half-started projects so I left it. But I hate seeing good kit getting binned...

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/051012600

Also, how on earth does it work? A crack team of skilled engineers (well OK, me and the guys at work) stood around holding mugs of tea and pondering on the how and why, and the best we can come up with is some kind of diaphragm that rapidly shoots the water in small spurts (although you can't see it in the flow)...

(Pic courtesy of Machine Mart)

• clarke pump.jpg
  2. piman Member

Hello Wedge1e,

all it is is a buffer store to stop the pump cutting in and out. There is a rubber diaphram inside and that is pressurised with air (You'll see a small schrader valve at the other end).
    As the pump starts and pressure builds up the diaphragm is compressed so filling the tank with water. When the pump cuts out this diaphragm (Actually a small bag I think?) maintains water pressure in the system. I don't see why you couldn't use it as a small air reciever?
    Alec

3. Wedg1e

Yes, I'd seen the valve (we topped the replacement one up). The pressure gauge is scaled to 10 Bar so I thought the thing should be pressure-tested to exceed that irrespective of whether it's full of air or water.
    Thanks for the info! Might pop in and scavenge it before someone else does... :whistle:

4. Fintray

Fintray Forum Supporter

Wedg1e all you would need to do is remove the flexible pipe from the pump and T into this with the supply from your compressor. You could even use the pressure switch to switch on and off the compressor if it is one of the small air brush types that run continually.

5. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    they have a diafram in the cylinder that you pressureise with the tyre valve on the end. they stop the pump cutting in and out alot as the pressure flutuates (there is a proper term for it but carn't remeber it for now) the cylinder is very thin so no use as a air reciver i made a BBQ out of one at work.

6. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Accumulator?

7. pete23 Banned

yes robo, accumulator tank or preasure kettle, just replace one in the water sytem on my boat.

and there is a rubber sack inside them, i had me old one to bits.

8. pete23 Banned

have seen bubbly bottles used for this on some boats

9. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Some of the early hydraulic robots had them to keep down the size/cost of the powerpack.

10. Tiggy_dorset

Tiggy_dorset It looks just like a bought one!

Probably is a good idea to check for a sticker or plate descibing its Max Pressure. I salvaged a 25 litre tank from my old company who are currently closing down. Thought brilliant! I could make a blasting pot or increase my compressor capacity (when it arrives undamaged). It wasn't til i got it home that I realised it states 60psi MAX pressure.

Its now in my shed gathering dust until I decide what to use it for.

11. pete23 Banned

the one i fitted on me boat was a 8ltr one and had to be preasurised to half the preasure of my water pump. pump is 30psi so set the kettle to 15psi.

12. julieanncharters Member

uk
    you'll also see em on pressurized heating systems remote mounted or in combi boilers as an expansion vessel same principle and construstion.

13. Drains

Drains Yeah, nah.

Hysteresis?

14. Drains

Drains Yeah, nah.

What psi do you want on your airbrush? No more than about 30 i'd have thought.

I have a wee receiver I tigged up from some ally bits which gets pressured up by a tyre inflater to about 20psi. Was tested to a lot more, works fine. So would your receiver ;). Those things are ten a penny mind - as remarked above, combi water boilers have them - almost every skip around here seems to have one in!

15. madkayaker

Cumbria
    That's the one

16. madkayaker

Cumbria
    They fair fairly fast change about three a year at work

17. Wedg1e

Sounds like another project that would gather dust then :D

I don't actually have an airbrush, I just thought it may be useful to someone who has.

I might salvage the motor from it though... :whistle:

Advertisements