Worth adding another compressor inline

1. Stevey J Member

Aldershot
    Hi all.
    After lots of house and family issues, ive finally got myself settled and getting back time and somewhere to start playing with cars and metal.
    Now my question is I have a direct drive 50l compressor, which I have used for normal impsct drivers etc and works fine, and i had occasionally used it for spraying and blasting. I have been offered exactly the same compressor from a friend if I want it and wondered if it would help spraying or blasting occasionally in the future? As the trouble with the 1 is it constantly wanting to regenerate after minutes of spraying.
    If it would help would it mean it wouldnt regenate as often? And would it be a question of using one motor to feed 2 tanks or both motors independently? I ask as one alone is darn noisy so 2 running at the same time might make my ears bleed, and possibly upset my new neighbours really quickly!!!!
    I have seen one of the mods system with 2 compressors, but wondered if it would help me doing this and how they recharge (independentky or together) and if, how often they recharge is the same or less often?
    Any advice on this especially the basics would be appriciated as this is new to me!
    Thanks Steve

2. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

If you use two compressors they will run less for a given load, but they will have to run at the same time. Increasing the tank capacity will increase both the on and off times.

3. Stevey J Member

Aldershot
    Thanks for that fast reply!!! In that case 2 together may be better as if the on/off time is less frequent that will be good. Increasing tank capacity sounds bad as dont think i really want long running times??
    I guess running 2 together is more common then, as this would be much better for less demanding tools. Is it just a question of conecting them inline with a t piece to the outlet piece , being identical no additional switching required, or should I remove switches and flow controls from them and put on a single regulator inline? Sorry if not using correct terminology!

4. rtbcomp

Take outlets directly from the tank (not via the regulator) and feed the leg of the tee to the regulator. If you can place the reg. near to where you use the air all the better.

Set the on/off pressures slightly apart to avoid both machines switching simultaneously.

5. Stevey J Member

Aldershot
    Ok excellent. So get a seperate reguator inline after the t piece, the pressure switches on each item will be suitable? I dont remember mine having adjustment?? Just a knob you pull up to kick it in then the built in regulator let you set the output pressure. Or am I getting something wrong?

6. rtbcomp

Leave the switches in-situ, there's more to them than just switching the compressor on and off.

The adjustment is inside the switch. There's a chance they may switch at slightly different pressures, try it before changing anything.

7. Stevey J Member

Aldershot
    Ok lovely. Thanks for your help. I think I'll go and collect mates compressor and see how they work together. Cheers

8. I had two compressors linked together and switching separately but the problem is you may and up with one of them doing all the work unless the pressure falls below the trigger for the one set to a lower pressure. So in the end I connected both compressor supplies to the output of the switch on the bigger compressor.

The switches on these cheap compressors are rated for 20A, I run both from a 13A plug/socket and so far had no problems of blowing fuses/overheating/breaker flip etc.

9. brightspark

brightspark Member

i use a cheapo pressure switch on one of my comps, the mains and motor feed are direct of a contactor and pressure switch just operates the contactor coil

10. rtbcomp

That's all well and good but you need to sort the unloading system out as well.

If one compressor does all the work so what? You're obviously still getting enough air.

There must be a 100 ways of connecting compressors, but I'd say keep it simple.

brightspark likes this.
Advertisements