Workshop build

1. Josho Member

I now rent 2 of these workshops and am taking out the concrete wall to make one big one.

We are taking on someone and need the space and desperately need an office.

My biggest question is, I want a small mezzanine but I need it floating as I need to drive vehicles under.

My question is, is it possible to do this.

Here is an old photo when we moved in and put a ramp up:
    [​IMG]

Here is a rough drawing:
    [​IMG]

Of what I want to do.

And here is a drawing facing the shutter
    [​IMG]

Is it possible to do some steelwork that will be strong enough to support it?

The unit next door has a full mezzanine at standard staircase height and it's great but I can only go half as I need space for the ramp and tall Van's.

If I cant do it will angle, I will have to put three steels? Or timbers? Inline with the left ramp post or just to the side touching and then run a beam across.

Can the 30ft beam be timber?

I know I need to get a professional in and that's not a problem just wanted some ideas first.

I really want the spraybooth as well but if it is too tight then so be it.

We want a year out of this place then move on to a bigger premises providing it all goes well.

On the wall at the back we will be setting up cupboards and tool chests.

I think the compressor will be best on a platform above the ramp as it's out the way and we can access it on the mezzanine to get to the compressor if needs be.

Worse case it will just go in the back left corner on the mezzanine.

2. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Won't be spanning 10m in timber cheaply. 5m would be 9x2 doubled up and they may want a flat steel inbetween.

First port of call would be a structural engineers mate. Building its easy enough but need the calcs.

pressbrake1 likes this.
  3. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    10m in timber would need to be a glulam beam , most likely flitch (steel) in between as stated above depending upon load and much much dearer than steel

4. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    If you get building control involved it would escalate with them wanting floor core samples of the concrete and sub floor for load bearing of the stanchion position s

brightspark likes this.
  5. Josho Member

Ok cheers. There would be a pillar in the middle if we did 3 uprights.

I'm guessing then that having it floating will be a no go?

6. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

as reference

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171661442756

however a quick question whats at front in the space where 18ft area is it free there

and i wouldnt build it where your ramp is as some vehicles are longer

you could also build the structure frame easily and build it in wood beams

7. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

this is certainly passable by the council

20171009_150528.jpg 20171009_150614.jpg

8. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Does your lease allow what you are looking to do ?

mtt.tr, slim_boy_fat and p0689109 like this.
  9. Josho Member

Yes all allowed.

Do you think that the "floating" idea with the steel angle bolted to the wall will work or can I just use 3 upright supports either timber or steel at both ends of workshop and one in the middle?

10. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

the steel angle you will fail with if your still doing it in the 7ft area consider bolting a wood beam to the wall

if only using as an office area and you keep the weight to a minimum office table and chairs and a seating area for dinner you shouldnt need to add further strength either side or in the middle against the wall but if you want to do use 3" box section with a flat top plate and a plate to fasten to the wall mainly for beam strength you will need 3 of these made up

upgrading to a thicker I beam/rsj and fitting a wood beam to the rsj this will need to be drilled out so you can bolt the wood beam to the steel beam

then wood from the wall to the steel beam and floor it out a wood frame can then be built on top of the steel beam to make your office up

you would need concrete pillars built up either side for the steel beam to sit upon

its also the cheapest option for you

staircase up one side of the frame but you also have to consider head height and also a platform area cant use a staircase and then straight into you office area due to safety aspect

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  11. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Have a look on eBay for used mezz floors.

Bear in mind if the council find out your rates could go up.

Also bear in mind EN 1090 if doing it in steel and your insurance. Particularly employers liability. God forbid an employee has an accident. They’ll do anything to get out of it.

gaz1 likes this.
Advertisements