workshop air lines / pipes / cooler

1. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

I am setting up my retirement /hobby workshop, I have several pre-war motorcycles and classic cars to restore if I live long enough, it has a sand blasting room, machine room and workshop, I have bought an old Hydrovane 33 as the workshop is in my garden and I don't want too much noise, so I have a few questions,
    hydrovane 33.jpg
    is the radiator on the end of the compressor a cooler?
    do I need another copper pipe cooler?
    any suggestions for a decent but budget priced water trap or would a copper pipe cooler with drain taps do the job?
    my best position for the cooler is behind the 60ton press, that would be about 3 feet from the compressor outlet, is that OK?
    press.jpg
    is the old 33 man enough for grit blasting? motorcycle and car parts, tank.jpg
    I have an old but very solid compressor tank spare, 36" by 14" is it worth plumbing that in, maybe inside the blasting room?

2. carbon

carbon Member

Just had a quick look online, looks like it could be 30CFM, do you have three phase for it

3. brightspark

brightspark Member

if the comp will produce over 28 cfm it will run a 3mm jet for blasting no problem with fine sand or grit . the tank will help in the cooling of air. I use a secondary tank at the end of the line for extra cooling and a second water separator on the blast pot and it works fine

4. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

yup, installed from the road late last year, I have a lot of 3 phase gear from shutting down my car repair workshiop, plus 3 phase gear is often almost free, no 3phase outlets added yet but running the 240v from it, I got a 20ltr Chinese pot from a local machinery auction full of grit for £20.00 the other day, maybe I will run the compressor output into the blasting room first with the tank and then come back out for general use, would only increase the run a few yards,

5. brightspark

brightspark Member

just keep the bore of pipe up . better cooling and no loss of cfm

6. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

20200119_164921_resized.jpg ok, installing steel air line pipe today, 1/2" bsp fittings, was wondering about using a 50 liter compressor tank mounted vertically as a cooler, it has threaded fittings on both ends and on what was the top, was thinking to mount it vertically with a drain pipe of what would now be the bottom, feeding air in about 6" from the top with the air out on top, the tank would be handy for air storage, how would it function as a cooler / water collection? paint it black?

7. brightspark

brightspark Member

no need to paint it just put it near the end of the line near where your intending to use it and fit a water separator on the end of it :)I use one for my blasting pot and it works well

• DSCF1195.JPG
  8. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

workshop is 6 mtr by about 9 mtr, machine room (lathes, mill, grinder, tig welder etc. is about 2 mtr by 4 mtr then on to the sand blast room 2.4 mtr by 2.4 mtr so I have quite a run of pipework with many outlets, was thinking of putting this tank near to the Hydrovane in the main workshop then on to the pipe runs, will have a second 200 ltr tank in the blast room and have a water trap / drain to go in there, if I get a plasma cutter will put another water trap on that outlet????????/

9. brightspark

brightspark Member

ok to have 2 water seperators I have one on my compressor tank that doesn't catch much but the one on the end of the line does after the secondary tank which catches a fair bit of water just blow it off before use

10. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

that's a plan then, motorised my pipe threader today, electric drill with a bit of an allen key in the chuck! getting old..................... I have also put a drop pipe below the last outlet in the workshop, with a valve on the end, handy to check / drain if there is any water in the pipes,

brightspark likes this.
Advertisements