Workbenches on wheels - can't believe I didn't do this earlier

1. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

From this thread, I got to thinking:

So finally got round to it today. The back and RHS of the garage are relatively well laid out and, while cramp, everything has a place and was in its place.

This is what the front/left looked like though:

upload_2019-10-12_19-23-29.png

Apart from the fact that I couldn't reach the stuff at the back, it was also a royal pain to use the table saw as I needed to lift it out and back again.

So I knocked up a couple of benches:

upload_2019-10-12_19-24-50.png

The most genius part being the 13cm castors:

upload_2019-10-12_19-25-23.png

Which means I can wheel either or both of them into the garden as needed:

upload_2019-10-12_19-25-55.png

And now, not only do I have a free-wheelin' table saw, but I can move them around to get to the stuff at the back!

upload_2019-10-12_19-26-48.png

Right... no more excuses - back to fitting the DRO...

2. ukracer Forum Supporter

Ah BUT after doing that I found not only my garage and workshop full of storage on wheels but I annoyed the hell out of the wife and next door neighbours by filling the decking as well. :)

eLuSiVeMiTe and skotl like this.
  3. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Oooohhhh... and the decking must be a far more pleasant place to stand than the concrete in the garage. So all I need to do is put a roof over the decking, put up some walls and a door for security and we're good to go :thumbup:

4. Good to get shot, if Mrs. Skotl hears about this plan !

Turbo, Hopefuldave and skotl like this.
  5. ukracer Forum Supporter

Well I thought of that and extended the roof of my workshop out a little... :)

6. DAPPH

DAPPH Member

Near to Cross Hands Llanelli SouthWales GB
    Now all you need us some long tall slim angle iron framed bins on lockable 360 castor wheels to slide in under the bottom shelf they can stick out up to 100 mm too . Put a 50 mm wire mesh over the front side so you can see roughly what you have put inside & you can fill the massive space almost entirely under the shelves .

7. ukracer Forum Supporter

Photo of what you describe would be nice. :)

skotl likes this.
  8. DAPPH

DAPPH Member

Near to Cross Hands Llanelli SouthWales GB
    I don't have any of such sort of crates/ bins on wheels .

However on one side of my mancupboard there is three ex WD four drawer filing cabinets on tailor made castor'ed frames, sitting long side my 1100 x 900 castor'ed welding bench which also has a frame & chains to hold both Hobby Weld gas bottles and then there is a commercial deep freeze glass topped chest freezer also on castors .

The other side of th garage has my antique lathe on a high wheeled frame , an ex USAF heavy duty air portable wheeled six drawer tool cabinet, my band saw on a wheeled frame and my bench saw on a set of 360 locking castors .

At the rear of the garage under the heavy duty shelves that carry the washing machine , dryer and not so often used cased tools there are three commercial lidded small plastic packing crates on castors so they can be pushed in & pulled out easily ….

It all started in 1976 when my shoulder got well & truly wrecked in HMF , and really took off again in 1995 when I bust my back up , it was a case of necessity to start putting every new big item I got on wheels for I knew things would be difficult in my later years ( nearly 70 now ) ..

9. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

how come that you didnt build them like @dazza as loved the way hes move all over the place with his wheeled tables and drawers

nice build though I think id have liked mine in metal structure

slim_boy_fat and skotl like this.
  10. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

I'll probably put shelves / drawers in. I had the timber leaning against the house and it took me from 1pm till 6pm - job done :D

If I'd done it from steel it would probably have taken my longer, plus I'd still have all that ex-decking timber lying around...

Parm, gaz1 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  11. northwest Member

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the castors?
    I am struggling to find any at a good price.

12. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

On the rare occasion I've had to buy casters, these people, Atlas Handling, have been very good.
    CJ

13. maz0

maz0 Member

Wheel them out into the garden, fill their previous space with new tools, now they don’t fit back in the garage. Enjoy your new garden ornaments! Thats what happens to me anyway..

slim_boy_fat and skotl like this.
  14. Geoffm Member

Most of my machinery is on wheels , including my 850kg Hiene guillotine. I also have a couple of benches in wheels. Handy to be able to move everything and open up space to suit. I need a bigger shed...

DAPPH likes this.
  15. northwest Member

Thank you for that, they are very good prices.

16. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Wheels, castors, storage systems.....just admit defeat and buy a bigger garage, with a house.

DAPPH, Hopefuldave, skotl and 3 others like this.
  17. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

In order of importance Mr Junkie :thumbup:

Bob

18. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

The best garage with a house I have seen is when I went to Brighton to buy my TZR250 race bike years ago, the guy had a huge "mews" type place with a massive garage area with sliding doors. It was probably over 20 meters square and he lived upstairs in the flat! My mate that came with me spotted an Alfa 75 the the guy had owned for ages and we went back and bought that later on!
    He might have been single....

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  19. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

20. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Join the Club....:laughing:

8ob and Parm like this.
Advertisements