Workbench

1. rockweasel Member

I started work on my workbench project. I'm going to call it a prototype because I'm learning things as I go along and there will be a few glaring errors when it's done.

The finished size is 1200(w) x 800(d) and kitchen worktop height. It will be on locking castors because I want to be able to park it out the way when it's not needed. Space is limited in my little shop.

I'll decide on the number of drawers and shelves as well as what depth I want them to be once I have the carcass finished. It's a flexible design.

The top shown in the photo will be permanently fixed with a removable one on top of that.

This is my first job using a router. So far so good with the dados, but I have plenty of time to mess up something later on.

My workshop floor is like a film set from "Inception", so I will have to level that out at some point.
    Inspiration for the workbench:

So Far:
    thumbnail (8).jpg

andy_v and bigegg like this.
  2. rockweasel Member

Pottering away at this.

1200mm wide x 800mm deep and a good height for me to work at.
    I was going to use the RHS to store power tools, but it's too deep. Tools get lost at the back of the shelf. There is enough wood left over to make another set of drawers. I should be able to store all the hand tools in this one cabinet.
    I still have to trim down the top flush with the sides (just for neatness) and then add a replaceable top on top of that. I'll leave a lip big enough to clamp on to.

The drawers are the full depth of the cabinet. There are false backs to stop me pulling out the drawer too far. This also creates hidden storage at the back for bits and bobs I may not use often.

I'd like to make a workbench the full width of the workshop with a similar design to this. Same height, but just deep enough to take the biggest power tool. Flexible shelving and drawers. Each tool would have its own shelf with a drawer above it for accessories. The shelving shown here is only 6mm and too thin for purpose. 9mm should do the job.

Tools hanging on walls makes me anxious. I think it's the OCD.

My wife has decided that this would also make a height for brushing the dogs. She gets a sore back from trying to do it on the floor. Now I have a ramp to build as well.

thumbnail (11).jpg thumbnail (10).jpg

Farside and andy_v like this.
  3. knighty Member

nice job you've done there, I always struggle with draws, I think I rush things a bit too much :-o

4. rockweasel Member

I left a couple of mm play with the drawers in case the wood warped over time and things started to bind.

I had a jig set up for making the drawers to try and keep them looking the same. Much sanding still required though

Advertisements