WolfWeld Arc 250

1. Pcrouch666

Pcrouch666 New Member

I have recently purchased this machine from a friend, he only used it for three small motorbike jobs so the machine is in near brand new condition.

The problem I am having is that originally when I switched the unit on it would either trip the MCB or blow a plug fuse (13a).

I have sorted the MCB issue by upgrading to a type C MCB.

However, I plug the machine in to the socket, turn the socket on, turn the welder on and pop ! the fuse in the plug goes.

Am I doing something wrong ? I am thinking of changing to a 16a supply instead but other people on here seem to run their machines on a 13a, so whats going wrong. I've wound the welder down to around 90a and still it blows. I managed one time out of five to get an arc but that lasted an inch before the plug fuse blew.

Please help it's getting frustrating.

Thanks

2. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

It should run up to and perhaps a bit over half power without any problems if the 250 stands for a 250 amp machine.

I used to use a 140amp buzz box ( the term for those types of machines) and it blew a few fuses over the years.

I would take it back and try it on your mates supply, that will identify where the fault is, machine or home supply.

3. Pcrouch666

Pcrouch666 New Member

Mine is blowing a fuse almost every time I switch it on, sometimes it lasts for a one inch weld but then blows. Maybe my fuses are just too cheap ? Will it fix the fault if I go for a 16a plug setup ?

4. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

I am reluctant to say a 16a will fix it because it should not be doing what it is on the lower settings, 13amp should be fine under 100amps.

Is it possible you are setting it at 90 but the switch or something is still giving it full whack, a multi tester should show if the power is changing with the settings.

5. Pcrouch666

Pcrouch666 New Member

I will have to find someone who can help. It seems crazy that they sell a machine with a 13a plug when it can't handle full tilt ?

6. carbon

carbon Member

Any chance of a picture of the data plate. Just found this about the welder. 'Will operate from a 13A supply at the lower power setting'

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  7. Pcrouch666

Pcrouch666 New Member

That is starting to make me think that the power adjuster isn't working properly. I will look at the plate when I get home later. If I run it from a 16a supply it should work from that shouldn't it ? I know it would be full power but I can hopefully get the adjuster sorted. Just wondering if it is worth getting the 16a upgrade done for the welders as it would be a simple job to install the 16a.

I know it would need the plug change but I'm not looking at using the welder anywhere other than my garage at this stage anyway.

8. carbon

carbon Member

Looks like its a dual voltage welder 240/415 so would imagine max output is available on 415v only

9. Pcrouch666

Pcrouch666 New Member

Got you. I wouldn't probably ever need the 250 I got it because I thought it would cope with prolonged use at say 130 rather than get a 130 machine and have it full tilt all the time, if you see what I mean.

I am right in thinking that to test the Ampage from the adjuster to see if it working properly I can put the positive from a multimeter onto the tip and the negative onto the ground clamp and turn it on it will show me the ampage ? If so what do I set the multimeter up as. ?

10. carbon

carbon Member

To test amperage would think you would need a clamp meter

11. gt6s Member

Indeed. Both my Stahlwerk machines AC DC 200 TIG and the 55S Plasma cutter came with German plug and 13 amp adapter The TIG's plate reads power consumption at 27 amps the plasma 32 amps. Really stupid putting a 13 amp fused plug on.

Laurence

Pcrouch666 likes this.
  12. carbon

carbon Member

Information I found lists a 60% duty cycle at 130 amps but doesn't list at what voltage

13. Pcrouch666

Pcrouch666 New Member

So will changing to a 16a help me do you know ?

Any idea where I might find a manual for this machine or other generic ?

14. carbon

carbon Member

Should be on the data plate on the machine

15. gaz1

gaz1 Member

16. Pcrouch666

Pcrouch666 New Member

Thats the one. Its got a blank put in to the voltage selector for I can only use 240. I can't find a manual on it as I would imagine that would give me the full power chart etc. I'm wondering if its the same as a Clarke or Sealey ?

17. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

It shouldn't pop a fuse intil you start welding on high amps. Just turning it on will not be high current. If its popping fused with just turning on then something is faulty.

18. Pcrouch666

Pcrouch666 New Member

Good point, I didn't think about that. Cheers

19. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

There will be an inrush but it still shoukd not blow on powering up the welder. Fuses and breakers are designed to take an over current for a short period of time.
    The old boc 130 never blew a fuse the 160 buzz box never blew a fuse.

20. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

Still shouldnt pop a fuse or breaker just turning it on

Advertisements