Wolf Turbo 150

1. supaimpy Member

Dorset UK
    Problem with this welder, the wire feed isn't working, all was running fine last time I used it, now theres no action from the feed motor.

The fuse on the board is ok, theres continuity thru the trigger switch and what looks to be an overheat thermistor on the transformer, .

So I flicked the cover off the relay/contactor on the board and made the contact and it works.

So any ideas guys or do I need a new board., If it needs a new board where do I get one?

Supaimpy aka Keith

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2010
  2. supaimpy Member

Dorset UK
    anyone got any hints please

3. R Kraft Member

Wyoming,USA
    It would be the main relay,that you operated manually.
    You might have bad wiring to the torch switch, or the switch may not be making contact.
    Robert

4. supaimpy Member

Dorset UK
    well the switch wire is ok, as if I depress the relay then I get the wire speed working and I can hear a transformer humming.

Appears the relay is not getting 18v , anyone got a diagaram or is it likely to be the speed control on the front panel not giving a control voltage out?

or does anyone have a circuit diagram?

[​IMG]

5. R Kraft Member

Wyoming,USA
  6. NotANormalCoder Fixer of welders for too many years

Check the thermostat(s) On machines like these, the torch trigger often goes through the 'stat first to form a crude "I'm to hot to weld right now" system.
    Otherwise I agree with Robert about the small transformer being the culprit - Check 240 in & (probably) 24V out.
    Dave

7. supaimpy Member

Dorset UK
    Ok it is the transformer on the pcb thats kaput looked at RS and can't see an obvious replacement , now looking at the relay it says 18v dc so take it i'll need a rectifier as well as a transformer?

8. NotANormalCoder Fixer of welders for too many years

It's only a small transformer that powers the trigger relay. RS 504-559 is a 240v input transformer with 2 x 12v outputs (about £4.76 + vat & Carriage?)You will need to drill more holes in the pcb to fit this and you could also wire the two outputs in parallel if you're worried it may not be man enough.
    You shouldn't need a recifier as there is one diode and a capacitor or two on the board that deal with conversion to DC for the relay.
    Good luck - Dave

9. PTvor Member

UK
    Tracking down a 230-240V to 24V transformer isn't hard, finding one that's a drop in replacement might be difficult.

Is there any reason why the old transformer can't be removed and a new one mounted off board and connected via leads? It would certainly give more freedom in the size and type of transformer.

10. R Kraft Member

Wyoming,USA
    The original transformer only puts out about 60-100ma, so almost any transformer will work,as long as the voltages are right.
    So just grab one that will work,and mount it wherever it will fit.
    Robert

11. supaimpy Member

Dorset UK
    thanks guy's ordered the RS part and I'll try it as soon as it turns up

12. GeorgeB pre-moderated

London, UK
    How did you test it? Are you sure the transformer is faulty?

13. chriso Member

United Kingdom
    Turbo 135 wire feed failed totally after being intermittent which had resulted in excessive burn back to the nozzle.
    F1 blew and the Thyristor failed - everything else checked out OK but motor won't run even though voltages to the board are fine.
    Eventually found the PCB track between F1 and the junction of R2/R3 had a minute crack in it.

14. Bob Le Brocq Member

Surrey UK
    Just going through this myself - small transformer open circuit primary. Jus to correct above, the two 12V windings on the RS transformer would need to be connected in series to get 24V.

Bob.

Advertisements