Wolf Mig 140 - Spool size?

1. Fimble New Member

Hey guys, first time posting here but I've been visiting it quite a bit over the last couple of months so I can make sure I know what I'm doing before I start restoring my bug!

I have a Wolf Mig 140, however I am looking to buy a reel of 0.6mm wire as the lowest it comes with is 0.8mm which from what I've read has a higher chance of burning through the metal.

My question if anyone knows, is besides the tiny 0.7kg spools it comes with, will this mig welder accept a 5kg wire roll? In the long run it will save money and I'd rather not run out of wire part way through a weld :P

The reason I ask is because I don't have a 5kg of wire or know anyone with a welder so I can't try it out for myself.

Cheers guys

2. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

Welcome to the forum:

I think you will find most members shy away from 0.6 and use 0.8 on car work, I am not a car restorer but think the 0.6 v 0.8 ease of use is the opposite to what you are led to believe.

3. Fimble New Member

Thanks Steve!

I have seen a lot of conflicting opinions regarding the whole 0.6 vs 0.8, especially on VW forums. Some people will swear by 0.8 because you can work on anything with it and don't have to change wire constantly, but then the other half will say 0.6 is best because of how thin a beetle's sheet metal is.

What are the disadvantages of using 0.6mm over the 0.8??

4. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

Fimble likes this.
  5. Fimble New Member

6. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

I handle every job including the delicate with 0.8, I have never found or thought it would be easier with 0.6

In fact some 0.6 came with the machine and I was glad when the roll was used up.

I think it's just an understandable belief that 'I am welding thin so need thinner wire' when in fact you don't.

7. gaz1

gaz1 Member

im also the same prefer 0.8 wire as theres more control to it

it also depends on its user as well rush and you will get blow throughs

8. Fimble New Member

Just in case anyone finds themselves on this thread from the Google looking for how big a spool the machine supports. I have had confirmation from their sales catalogue (magazine?) which states it supports up to 5kg wire spools.

Advertisements