Wolf Dakota 90 ltr...?

1. The Z'eer

The Z'eer Member

On the verge of buying my first compressor. Selected this one due to the positive press its received so far, that it's mobile and within budget.

Just a couple of questions before I take the plunge.

1. I don't have the equipment yet, but the intention is to paint various body panels individually via this compressor. I presume this job is within it's capability?

2. Can anyone advise what air tools are possible via this compressor and what are not?

2. Davek0974

Davek0974 Arse!, Drink!, Girls!

I have this unit, great compressor.

I have run air angle-grinder, drill, ratchet, impact wrench, chisel, plasma cutter and powder-coat gun on mine.

I do use a refrigerated air dryer for the plasma and powder-coater.

The fitted regulator is a bit poor, i fitted a better one and use 10mm hoses with PCL-XF fittings.

3. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

As above. Great value for money and it's run everything I have, including a paint gun, except for an orbital sander.

4. The Z'eer

The Z'eer Member

Ok, so when purchasing an airline I should opt for 10mm hosing? Would it be advisable to have an even larger diameter hose?

5. The Z'eer

The Z'eer Member

Ok, so it isn't too keen on an orbital sander. I think I can live with that and if needed I'll buy 240 volt piece. Might I ask what spray gun you use and what it has been used for?

6. Davek0974

Not really, 3/8" or 10mm is perfectly ok for this unit. For spray use a smaller, lighter 8mm hose may be better.

7. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

I've had a bunch on it, all ubiquitous no-name versions. Two were generic high pressure units used for spraying fences, and then a couple of HVLP guns to do bodywork.

8. Special When Lit New Member

Out of interest, what reg did you fit?

9. Davek0974

It was one i got from work, but any decent reg will do, not the cheapest chinese ones on eBay etc.

10. The Z'eer

The Z'eer Member

That's great! I was concerned it might not be capable of using HVLP guns, thankfully it appears it is :)

11. The Z'eer

The Z'eer Member

I'll keep clear of the eBay specials then ;)

12. optima21 Forum Supporter

all depends on the air consumption of the spray gun. when you buy the spray gun, check to see how much it requires, it can range from less than 6cfm to over 20cfm.

when I had a smaller compressor, I bought some lvlp (Low Volume Low Presure) spray guns as they should have lower air consumption than HVLP compressors. I bought a couple of FMT3006 spray guns which use 6cfm of air, but they may not be suitable for metalic paints.

funny you should mention that, when I got my spray guns I fitted some cheap regulators on the gun like these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291663192336

with both of the guns I couldnt manage to get 10psi at the gun, ditching the regulator and fitting a T piece and guage it will run all day at 22 psi at the gun.

13. GrimReaper Member

I bought one in 2013, it has a yellow tank rather than the red they now have.
    I have it hidden in the dead space under the stairs and pipe the air into the garage via the blue airline system from toolstation (15mm)
    The only issues I've had are a bit of water in the lines (hopefully sorted now with a PCL dropout water filter I bought last week, and it packed in last year, which I remedied by replacing the capacitors with a couple of 300uF/250V & 40uF/450V capacitors from ebay.
    I drain it regularly via an extended drain tap (before every use) and change the oil at least once a year to keep it running sweet.
    I installed a 16A socket to run it off and a C16 rcd in the consumer unit to stop it tripping everytime it spooled up.

Advertisements